Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Prn file carriage return deletion within notepad

Dear All

I am completely stuck

PROBLEM
I have a prn file which on creation always has a carraige return
inserted after the last row.

At the moment I am using VBA to generate the prn file but manually
opening notepad and deleting the carraige return and then saving it
again as a prn within notepad.

QUESTION
Is there a way, using VBA, to open the prn within notepad and delete
the carriage return? It seems to be hard coded. I have read the prn
in to notepad a line at a time but the carriage return remains.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Monster

--
monster
monster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24353

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On my wintel pc, I get a carriage return/linefeed at that end of every
line--including the last.

Are you saying that you got extra characters or that you don't want those
characters at the end of the file?

And just curious, why wouldn't you want those last crlf at the end of the last
line?

monster wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think he's saying he gets this:

Line 1<crlf
Line 2<crlf
Line 3<crlf
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My apologies, what I mean is this.

_In_a_9_line_prn_file._

line 1
line 2
line 3
line 9<crlf

It is this final <crlf that I want to remove because the prn file i
used within a system (out of my control) that initially counts th
number of rows. With this carriage return, the number of rows i
increased by one (to 10). Effectively the system sees a 'final blan
record' (created from the carraige return).

Have I explained it any better?
Any ideas

--
monste
monster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2435

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You explained it ok the first time, too. I was just curious.

Try Charlie's code. I bet it works for you.

monster wrote:

My apologies, what I mean is this.

_In_a_9_line_prn_file._

line 1
line 2
line 3
line 9<crlf

It is this final <crlf that I want to remove because the prn file is
used within a system (out of my control) that initially counts the
number of rows. With this carriage return, the number of rows is
increased by one (to 10). Effectively the system sees a 'final blank
record' (created from the carraige return).

Have I explained it any better?
Any ideas?

--
monster
monster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24353
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=379508

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Where can I find Charlie's code? I am new to this forum

--
monste
monster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2435
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37950

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Go to google and search using your name as the author or search for your
subject:

I found this:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...dd8586d3f5d8aa

(I hate the new google interface!)