Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chris Glen

Default carriage return that works when pasted into a text file (eg. Notep

Is this possible?

I'm concatenating several columns, and then copying that into a text file so
I can view it in Notepad. But I want a carriage return in there to break it
into two lines. CHAR(10) appears as a square in Notepad.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric_MUC

Hi Chris,

not as far as I know.

But you could use a macro to write these rows in a text-file (even faster
than copying it manually ;) ).
There you can use e.g. vbLf or vbCr...

Did this help you?

Best wishes,
Eric

"Chris Glen" wrote:

Is this possible?

I'm concatenating several columns, and then copying that into a text file so
I can view it in Notepad. But I want a carriage return in there to break it
into two lines. CHAR(10) appears as a square in Notepad.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Vaughn

I tried char(10) and char(13) in Notepad and got the same results. However,
using Wordpad and doing a paste special unformatted text resulted in seperate
lines for both.
--
Kevin Vaughn

"Chris Glen" wrote:

Is this possible?

I'm concatenating several columns, and then copying that into a text file so
I can view it in Notepad. But I want a carriage return in there to break it
into two lines. CHAR(10) appears as a square in Notepad.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Chris,

Excel only recognizes CHAR(10) or in VBA CHR(10) which is actually a LF (line-feed)
and in order for it to be effective you must have wrap turned on (format, cells, alignment, wrap text).
When you use Alt+Enter you automatically get wrapping turned on for that cell.

if you are seeing the square bullet in Excel then you probably just need to turn on
Cell Wrapping (as described above)

To concatenate cells within the worksheet you can use something like
=A1 & Char(10) & B1
or something slightly different
=A1 & Char(10) & " " & B1
which would indent the second line one character before the first line.

To look for CHAR(10) using Find, Replace, or Text to Columns you
would hold Alt+0010 or
on a laptop use Fn+Alt+0010 on numeric keypad with NumLock off.
which will produce 1 character that you won't see.

It always worked for me in earlier versions of Excel and I don't know
why Alt+0010 is not working for me in Excel 2002, and incidentally
it still works in Notepad.

additional information in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm

---