Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using An Add-in On A Network Drive

My clients use an add-in that's on their local drive.
Every time I change it, I have to redistribute it and babysit them to be
sure that they're using the right version.
How can I remove the local add-in reference, move it to a network drive and
then re-associate it with Excel.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Users can not share an addin on a network drive. xla files do not support
multiple users of the same file, so everyone needs theri own local copy. Here
is a link to a program for installing addins...

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm#SetupUtility

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Using An Add-in On A Network Drive" wrote:

My clients use an add-in that's on their local drive.
Every time I change it, I have to redistribute it and babysit them to be
sure that they're using the right version.
How can I remove the local add-in reference, move it to a network drive and
then re-associate it with Excel.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I had the same problem and got a good tip from this newsgroup. I think it
was KeepITCool.
The way to do it is like this:
Have your add-in on the central server.
Excel on the local PC has an add-in installed that opens (but not installs)
the
add-in on the server. So it will open it just as a normal .xls file.
This means many people can use it at the same time and you only have to deal
with the add-in on the server.
So, the only add-in installed on the local PC is the loader add-in, not the
real add-in.
The real add-in will make a menu in Excel in the Workbook Open event and
your real add-in will be accessible.

RBS

"Using An Add-in On A Network Drive" <Using An Add-in On A Network
wrote in message
My clients use an add-in that's on their local drive.
Every time I change it, I have to redistribute it and babysit them to be
sure that they're using the right version.
How can I remove the local add-in reference, move it to a network drive
and
then re-associate it with Excel.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

RBS,

You're my new best Friend!
Being a newbie to this group, I must try to find the posts of KeepITCool.
Maybe there's a coding example.

Thanks/Jack

wrote in message
My clients use an add-in that's on their local drive.
Every time I change it, I have to redistribute it and babysit them to be
sure that they're using the right version.
How can I remove the local add-in reference, move it to a network drive
and
then re-associate it with Excel.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This really is very simple.
In your loader add-in you have code like this in the Workbook Open event:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Workbooks.Open "S:\MainAddin.xla"

End Sub

Obviously you will have to alter the path to the main add-in and you will
have to work out the finer details.
The important thing is that the add-in MainAddin.xla is not installed in
Excel, so it is not ticked under Tools,
Add-ins. The loader add-in is installed though, so it is ticked under Tools,
Add-ins.
I am using this method with a really complicated add-in (over 4 Mb) and it
works perfectly fine. If you want you even can
have to instances of Excel open on the same machine, both running the main