Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Auto calculation on a userform

Hi all, I am using a userform where I have 5 columns of 15 textboxes in each
row I want to have 2 things happen!

I need textbox 16 to add the totals of textboxes 1 - 15 automatically as
they are updated. also there is textbox 17 which counts the amount of
textboxes used . On a worksheet I would use the "isblank" formula but I
have no idea of what to use on a userform.

If anyone can help me with some code to start on this I can can work out the
rest of the columns.

Thanks in advance

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Greg,

One problem with the TextBox is you lose the AfterUpdate event when it
is placed on a worksheet. This is the primary event you need to
accomplish your TextBox updating. It seems to me it would be far easier
to simply update the cells themselves and not incur the overhead of
using so many controls.

Linking the TextBox to cell really doesn't help solve the problem
either, since a TextBox can only be linked to one cell on the
worksheet. Maybe if you describe in more detail what you want to do,
myself and others could make suggestions to guide you.

--
Leith Ross

Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378446

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yeah Thanks Leith

You are right, I have a workbook with about 100 userforms that are linked to
certain cell in the workbook and what I do is after each textbox is exited
is that it checks the value of the score and then it goes to the next
textbox. This works fine and when I have put all the scores in, I click on
a commandbutton which copies all the scores on to a worksheet and it updates
the totals. I get this to show on the userform by using the unload me and
then userform.show routine. I have done this and I really slows my pc down
..

What I was hoping to do is this

in textboxes 1 - 15 i input the scores,
and all I want is for 2 things to happen is it totals up the complete scores
and shows it in "realtime" in textbox 16.

But in textbox 17 I would like it to see if a textbox has a value in it and
if it does give each textbox a value worth 1.

then I would want to devide the total of textbox 16 by textbox 17 for the
average.

The only way I can do this is by having a massive code at the end, when i
have updated all the scores. But I would love for it to be realtime and
show the totals as the scores are inputted.

This is really complicated to explain so I hope it is clearer.

Greg
"Leith Ross" wrote
in message ...

Hello Greg,

One problem with the TextBox is you lose the AfterUpdate event when it
is placed on a worksheet. This is the primary event you need to
accomplish your TextBox updating. It seems to me it would be far easier
to simply update the cells themselves and not incur the overhead of
using so many controls.

Linking the TextBox to cell really doesn't help solve the problem
either, since a TextBox can only be linked to one cell on the
worksheet. Maybe if you describe in more detail what you want to do,
myself and others could make suggestions to guide you.

--
Leith Ross

Leith Ross's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378446

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Greg,

You are right, it is complicated. Would it possible for you to upload
the workbook or pictures of the major worksheets and forms involved?
Either would be a big help.

Thanks,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378446

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greg...

with all due respect:
imo 100 userforms for a single workbook is ridiculous.
and ofcourse you are fighting with complexity and performance..

rethink your design.

WHAT were you trying to achieve.. originally.

WITH all you learned building the thing..
WHERE did you go wrong.

--
keepITcool

Greg wrote :

I have a workbook with about 100 userforms

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have continually tried to find out ways to do it, I have received the
answer do your homework, too hard, etc. I came up with this way I am new to
this and am struggling to work out a way of making it simple. I scrapped
the first attempt when it hit 14mb for the file and I am not going to do
that again. But it seems it is the only way I can get the job done.

The problem I have is that I am designing this program to stopped the
tedious task of inputting the same scores for 60 people three times over. I
did a little program for one person and it worked great but to scale it up
to the larger size it would not work.

I have 22 rounds in a season and if I could use a combo box to search for
the right person and then go to the right row to placed the information I
would takes hours off the work. But it just seems to hard to do. Sorry
about sooking but I am getting frustrated with the whole thing.

I can see it but cant achieve it,

Thanks Greg
ft.com...

Greg wrote :

I have a workbook with about 100 userforms

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greg,

14MB .... proves my point doesnt it.

Looks like you're trying to do a competition
with the participants forecasting it..

A while back I've setup something similar for Dutch soccer competition.
while trying to keep it ultra lean.(no vba,no need to sort)

200Kb for 18 rounds and 10 participants...
will easily adapt to a max of 240 participants.
(design drawback.. forecast data for the participants is in columns)

It will give you a good basic design for the data and computations.

just 2 worksheets.. (with some 'nifty' array formulas)
1 for input matches AND forecasts
1 for display (rankings etc)

If you want to have a look .. email me.
But i am curious what your file looks like.
(if you can zip it.. <2MB, you can email, and I'll have a look)

--
keepITcool

hit 14mb for the file

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just thought of something else it might work. Thanks for the offer if it
doesn't work I would appreciate the offer

Thanks to both of you for your offer

[...]

Greg wrote :

hit 14mb for the file