Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help w/Protecting a Pivot Table through many unique passwords

I have individual data for 1000+ stores. The data is sensitive and cannot be
shared among all users. The quickest way to get this data to the stores is
with a Pivot Table, but I'm trying to give each store manager the option to
see his/her own store data without the ability to see any other store's data.

Can this be done? ...either through a username/password entry when the
workbook is opened or by validating a password when they enter their store
number?

TIA,
Nicole
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's no reliable way to prevent users from seeing data in an Excel
file. Perhaps you could create a macro that sends each store's data to a
separate workbook, and creates a pivot table from that data.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Debra - Thanks for the quick reply! I've moved away from the password issue
and now am trying to use the GETPIVOTDATA function in a password protected
sheet. I saw several of your posts explaining how to use cell referencing
but it's just not working for me - help!

When inserting the function, it's only prompting me for the Pivot Table
reference and "Name" (text string that refers to part of PivotTable that
contains data you want). How can I specify the other variables of the data I
want...??

My pivot table is set up with..
Store ID as a row
Associate ID as a sub-row
# Apps Processed as column....and grouped with 1-2 and 2

Thanks so much for your help!!
Nicole

NicoleHKeller wrote:
I have individual data for 1000+ stores. The data is sensitive and cannot be
shared among all users. The quickest way to get this data to the stores is
with a Pivot Table, but I'm trying to give each store manager the option to
see his/her own store data without the ability to see any other store's data.

Can this be done? ...either through a username/password entry when the
workbook is opened or by validating a password when they enter their store
number?

TIA,
Nicole

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, I got it to return the "total" using a cell reference, but is there a way
to return Associate ID and the "# Applications Processed" related to the
Associate ID?

THANKS AGAIN!

NicoleHKeller wrote:
I have individual data for 1000+ stores. The data is sensitive and cannot be
shared among all users. The quickest way to get this data to the stores is
with a Pivot Table, but I'm trying to give each store manager the option to
see his/her own store data without the ability to see any other store's data.

Can this be done? ...either through a username/password entry when the
workbook is opened or by validating a password when they enter their store
number?

TIA,
Nicole

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The GETPIVOTDATA function arguments vary for different versions of
Excel. Look in Help for examples for your version, and there are a
couple of sample formulas on my web site: