Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Keeping track of code

This isn't a programming question, but it's something I've been thinking
about lately:

How does everybody keep track of subs/functions/applications they've written?

Sometimes I find myself needing a solution to a problem I *know* I've solved
before, but then I can't find it. So I have to look through everything,
search online for the solution, etc. Frustrating... and not terribly
efficient.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For me - I have a special workbook.
Each sheet has a catagory name and any code for that catagory is put on that
sheet.
I use a (moving) Index sheet to list all the sheet names and use it to
navigate between
sheets. I also include links to web sites.

My workbook now has about 100 worksheets and continues to grow.

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Eric White" wrote in message
This isn't a programming question, but it's something I've been thinking
about lately:

How does everybody keep track of subs/functions/applications they've
written?

Sometimes I find myself needing a solution to a problem I *know* I've
solved
before, but then I can't find it. So I have to look through everything,
search online for the solution, etc. Frustrating... and not terribly
efficient.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Eric,

(1) I use a variation of Chip Pearson's code for exporting modules for
each workbook that I create that contains code (each workbook having
its own subdirectory for the modules). Then, I use StartFindFiles or
Folders to search for keywords ("containing text").

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.htm
Exporting All Modules In A Project

(2) I also have a workbook that contains a worksheet with an
alphabetical index listing various issues that I have researched. This
sheet contains hyperlinks to text files that contain code snippets or
hyperlinks to Internet sources (Google, WebSites, etc.). I then search
by keyword and fill a ListBox; selecting an item in the ListBox brings
me to the appropriate hyperlinks.

Any time that I encounter a subject that may prove useful in the
future, I store that information for later perusal.

Not 100% foolproof, but I rarely spend excessive time re-researching
topics that I've seen before.

Paul

How does everybody keep track of subs/functions/applications they've written?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Great question.

Many times my prior "solutions" would be better off scrapped, my learning
curve has been so steep the past couple years. I just look at my old
solutions and say "what was I THINKING?!" I look forward to the day when my
own re-usable code is worth re-using.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe a freeware program like TreePad Lite could be a good solution.

RBS