Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Simple Question: Select Text Box from Spreadsheet?

I am stuck on what seems a very simple problem: I can't select a textbo
that is in a spreadsheet.

The textbox is called Text Box 125 (at least that's what appears in th
top left corner, where it usually displays cell name like "J8").

I want to delete this textbox if a cell is empty. My difficulty is i
selecting the box. I have tried things like:

TextBox125.Select

TxtBox125.Select

Text_Box_125.Select

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

--
Lost
Lost!'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2399

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel ranges have a "select" method, Textboxes don't. You can, however
approach it other ways:
Me.TextBox125.Delete
or
ActiveSheet.Shapes("TextBox125").Delete

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"Lost!" wrote in message

I am stuck on what seems a very simple problem: I can't select a textbox
that is in a spreadsheet.

The textbox is called Text Box 125 (at least that's what appears in the
top left corner, where it usually displays cell name like "J8").

I want to delete this textbox if a cell is empty. My difficulty is in
selecting the box. I have tried things like:

TextBox125.Select

TxtBox125.Select

Text_Box_125.Select

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!!

--
Lost!
Lost!'s Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=377116

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are asking about selecting the textbox, which is one thing, and deleting
it if a cell is empty. I'm not sure exactly what it is you want to do but
I'll do my best to describe how to do these things. To "select" the textbox
I presume you mean you don't want the cursor to go there to type in
something. You need to be in design mode.

On the menu bar do View--Toolbars--Control Toolbox. When the window opens
click on the button with the blue triangle and pencil. Now you can click on
the textbox to select it. Press the Delete key to permanently delete the
textbox.

If this is not what you want to do, maybe you mean you want to hide the
textbox (make it invisible) when a particular cell is empty. In the
Worksheet_Change sub you can do something like this:

TextBox125.Visible = Range("A1").Text < ""

"Lost!" wrote:

I am stuck on what seems a very simple problem: I can't select a textbox
that is in a spreadsheet.

The textbox is called Text Box 125 (at least that's what appears in the
top left corner, where it usually displays cell name like "J8").

I want to delete this textbox if a cell is empty. My difficulty is in
selecting the box. I have tried things like:

TextBox125.Select

TxtBox125.Select

Text_Box_125.Select

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!!

--
Lost!
Lost!'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23990
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=377116

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks very much for the replies. First of all, I should mention that I
am using Excel 2000.

I was unclear. When I said I want to 'select' the box, I meant I want
it to appear is if I had clicked on the border of the box and it was
selected so that I could press the delete key and get rid of the box. I
didn't mean that I want to have the cursor appear in the textbox itself.
The only reason I want to select the box is to delete it after, so if
this step can be skipped (as it appears from your replies), great!

Also, I want to make it clear that the textbox to be deleted (or
hidden) is in one of the tabs of my spreadsheet. It is NOT in VBA. The
textboxes on my userforms are completely separate from the ones on the
spreadsheet. These textboxes were added by someone else because she
wanted it formatted differently.

Unfortunately, neither of these solutions worked for me. I must be
putting the code in the wrong place.

When I tried the "TextBox125.Visible = Range("A1").Text < """ in the
Worksheet_Change Sub, I got an error.

Also, I can't seem to get the
"ActiveSheet.Shapes("TextBox125").Delete " code to work. I am trying
to put it in the code that activates upon clicking a command button.

Thanks!!

P.S. Let me add that hiding the box is preferable to deleting it.

--
Lost!
Lost!'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23990
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=377116

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Lost!" wrote:

I was unclear. When I said I want to 'select' the box, I meant I want
it to appear is if I had clicked on the border of the box and it was
selected so that I could press the delete key and get rid of the box.

That's what I thought you meant. You need to be in Design Mode to select
the textbox as you mention. Then click on the textbox and press the delete
key. George's method should work too, but you may need to specify the sheet
by name like this:

Sheets("Sheet1").Shapes("TextBox125").Delete

But if you aren't creating and deleting controls on-the-fly, just going into
Design Mode to get rid of it is easiest. The only way I know to get into
Design Mode is through the View menu. View--Toolbars--Control Toolbox.
There should be a button with a blue triangle to toggle in and out of Design
Mode.