Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Simple Userform

Thanks Jim for the heads up on this. I had not envisaged needing to do "find"
etc, but a simpler "next" and "previous" set of butttons on the userform as
the same set of cells/fields on all records/rows will require updating on the
s/sheet.

FYI, the application here is marking an exam paper. We have a s/sheet with
all the student details. Hence the static (non-updateable) data is Student
Name, address etc, whilst the cells for the exam questions are the ones that
need updating. So I had envisaged "simple" code to just display (next)
record, allowing update on defined fields/cells, get next record, etc.

I thought someone might have such a userform that I could modify for my
fields/cells.

I have had a look at J-Walk Enhanced Data Form from John Walkenbach
(http://www.j-walk.com/ss) which looks close to what I'm after.

Cheers
AlanM

The re

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

The userform that you want is not simple (not a good project for a new user).
Create a blank form and add in a label and text box for each field you would
like to be able to update. Add in two labels for each field you do not want
to be updated (to give the user some context of the items they will not be
updateing. This is optional.) You now need to add in a Find Button. The code
on this button is going to be tricky. Based on the field that was just
updated (you will have to keep track of this based on changing and exiting
text boxes) then you can send the value of the updated text box to a find
function that will return a found row. (The function will have to know which
column to search based on the text box that was updated). Now you can
populate your text boxes with the row values. You will have to have an update
button that will write back the values once updated. Give it a try if you
want and we can help you with any specific questions that you have, but be
warned this is a big project and you will have some difficulty finding
someone who will do the whole thing for you on this forum.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"AlanM" wrote:

Thanks Jim

It doesn't quite do it. I need to be able to show some cells as reference
(eg name), but not allow changes to this cell, while other cells need to
allow for input of quite a lot of text. These cells start out empty, which
results in the pre-formatted data_form having a small field input area, but
with a custom userform I can make it as big as needed.

Thanks
AlanM

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

This might take all of the fun out of creating a new userform but how about
just using menu item

Data - Form

This brings up a form that might do the trick for you no work involved.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"AlanM" wrote:

I am new to using userforms, so here's my problem:

I have a s/sheet with data already in it. The information in some columns on
all of the records/rows require updating, and I need to make a simple
userform to make it easy for the user to edit/update just those fields.

Does anyone have a simple userform that suits this purpose, they would like
to share? There is no data entry, ie creating new rows, just
maintenance/update of existing records/rows. I have no problems creating the
userform, just the VB code to do what I want I have found a little difficult
to locate in userform samples I have seen.

Any/all assistance appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good. I hope everything goes well. John is an excellent programmer and if he
has something close that should be an excelent start. If you need any more
assistance let me know.

Jim Thomlinson