Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Extracting Modules to Compressed Windows Folders

Excel 2002 and Windows XP

For brevity, let's say my D:\work folder is marked as compressed. When
I save new .XLS files in it, they're compressed. When I use my text
editor or Notepad to save new text files in it, they're also
compressed. However, if I use the VBE to extract code modules into it,
they're stored UNCOMPRESSED.

This seems to be a nasty dependency between the VBE and Windows, at
least for the specific versions I'm using. I don't want the VBE second
guessing my OS file system settings, and this doesn't fill me with
confidence that there aren't other hidden dependencies between the VBE
and Windows.

The paranoid cynic in me is tempted to believe that this was designed
into the VBE to make using Excel 2002 more difficult using Windows
emulators under other OSs. The jaded cynic in me believes that the VBE
uses overly low level file system access to save .BAS files, but not
necessarily with the intention of screwing up emulators, more likely
due to laziness and bad systems programming.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

[...]

Is there a question here?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"bigwheel" wrote...
Is there a question here?

Only yours. Newsgroups aren't just for Q&A.