Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Changing a cell's number format

I am trying to change the number of decimal places displayed in a given cell
when a macro is executed. Everything I've read says a simple command using
the code Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00" should work but for some reason the
cell format remains unchanged. I've tried changing the default cell format
to both General and Number first but this has not helped. Why is this
command not working and what would rectify this?

Thx.
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you sure the number format isn't changing? After running the macro,
what format do the cell(s) have (checking in Format/Cells/Number)?

If your numbers are entered as Text, their display won't be affected by
number format. If the cell indicates a number format, but your displayed
text doesn't reflect that format, try copying an empty cell, selecting
your "numbers", and choosing Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values
and Add radio buttons.

This will coerce any "Text numbers" into numbers.

In article ,
"Chris" wrote:

I am trying to change the number of decimal places displayed in a given cell
when a macro is executed. Everything I've read says a simple command using
the code Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00" should work but for some reason the
cell format remains unchanged. I've tried changing the default cell format
to both General and Number first but this has not helped. Why is this
command not working and what would rectify this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unfortunately neither of those helped. Yes, the cells are displaying the
Number format when I check them. I have also tried running the macro on
sample cells or fields that I know are unconnected to anything else to try to
isolate the problem and still I cannot get the cell format to change.
Strange.... Other ideas?

Chris

"Chris" wrote:

I am trying to change the number of decimal places displayed in a given cell
when a macro is executed. Everything I've read says a simple command using
the code Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00" should work but for some reason the
cell format remains unchanged. I've tried changing the default cell format
to both General and Number first but this has not helped. Why is this
command not working and what would rectify this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the help. After further trouble-shooting I found another macro
running in the background that was causing the NumberFormat feature not to
work. Works great now, thanks.