Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel should allow mirroring of multiple cells

I don't think this function is yet in Excel. If it is, I don't know what
it's called or where to find it.

The suggestion is simple: create a way to link two or more cells together
so that data input into any one of the linked cells shows in all the others
AND the data can be changed from ANY of the cells, with the changed data
reflecting in all the others. This would be very similar to placing an equal
sign and cell number (i.e. "=A4") in one cell to pull in data from the named
cell number. However, using a simple formula like this to link cells is only
one-way. I am looking to make it two-way, linking the cells without using a
formula so that either cell can be changed and the change reflect in the
other.

Example of use would be where you have multiple tabs in a workbook and want
to be able to input changes of key data from any of the tabs. Something like
this can already be done in Access. It would be nice to be able to do it in
Excel also.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not exactly. I am not looking to combine numerous cells' data.

I want to link the cells. For example, if I link cells A1 and D1, I would
be able to put a "12" in D1 and it would show up in A1. Then, I would be
able to change the "12" in A1 to a "4" in A1 and it would show up in D1. I
am talking about essentially linking two or more cells so that they behave as
though they are one cell.

If this were done with a formula, it would not work because when you started
typing data in the cell containing the formula, it would over-type and
destroy it....that is unless you can put your formula in one cell, but
designate the results of the formula to appear in another cell (without any
entry in that target cell).

Thank you.

--
Doyle_D

"Doyle_D" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doyle_D shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.programming:

I don't think this function is yet in Excel. If it is, I don't know
what it's called or where to find it.

The suggestion is simple: create a way to link two or more cells
together so that data input into any one of the linked cells shows in
all the others AND the data can be changed from ANY of the cells,
with the changed data reflecting in all the others. This would be
very similar to placing an equal sign and cell number (i.e. "=A4") in
one cell to pull in data from the named cell number. However, using
a simple formula like this to link cells is only one-way. I am
looking to make it two-way, linking the cells without using a formula
so that either cell can be changed and the change reflect in the
other.

I think there are already some ways to implement this.
How about a worksheet event that is triggered when a certain range is
changed, which changes every value in the predefined range.

Example of use would be where you have multiple tabs in a workbook
and want to be able to input changes of key data from any of the
tabs. Something like this can already be done in Access. It would
be nice to be able to do it in Excel also.

A better solution would be to use Access as a backend database and
Excel as a frontend application.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...mspx?mid=5b047
3ad-da51-4ce1-b054-9cb5deb96733&dg=microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is what I call Usenet pollution...

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Let me put it another way. I want to be able to merge cells that are not
adjacent to one another....not necessarily on the same tab, or not even
necessarily on the same spreadsheet for that matter. Can it be done?
--
Doyle_D

"Doyle_D" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doyle_D shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.programming:

Let me put it another way. I want to be able to merge cells that are
not adjacent to one another....not necessarily on the same tab, or
not even necessarily on the same spreadsheet for that matter. Can it
be done?

I understand exactly what you mean.
Your question clearly demonstrates a misinterpretation of the
fundamental concepts of both a database (Access) and a spreadsheet
(Excel).

You think you see cells with values in Access. This is not true. What
you really see, is the result of a query. A query is a representation
of (a part of) the internal database. You (almost) never see the
database itself.

Think of a big cardboard box. Access is a big box with data inside, and
what you see (using a query) is what you can see through a hole in the
box. Different shapes, sizes and positions of holes give you different
views of what is essentially the same data.
You can also use the holes to put new data in. If you simultaneously
look through another hole, it may /appear/ that the data is also
inserted there, but that is not true. You see what has happened
elsewhere, just from another angle.

Now comes Excel. This is not one big box, but thousands and thousands
of small boxen (worksheet cells) all stacked together. If you change
one cell, you put something in one box. It's only in that little box
and not in another box.

I hope this metaphore clears up some misunderstandings.

What you need/want, is an access database backend (the big box) with
queries (holes in the box) and an excel worksheet frontend (reach
inside the big box through the hole and put it in a small box)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for the explanation. It does help me visualize the spreadsheet vs.
database concepts a bit better. Your suggestion to have an Excel front end
and a Access back end would probably do the trick, but that is a bit too
complex for your average user of Excel. Certainly, it would take me a while
to figure out how to set that up. I was looking for something that would be
as simple as merging cells--just made it so that the cells don't have to be
adjacent.

Maybe I have misunderstood something. I thought that I was making a
suggestion to the developers of Excel to add a feature to the product or to
show me where they already have if it is already in there. From your
explanations, I gather that such a function is not available at this time in
Excel without rigging a workaround using Access.

So, my question now is.... How do I go about suggesting this to the
developers if not through this forum? I was directed here to this forum via
the product suggestions link in "Help" within Excel. Is there any way to
email the Microsoft developers or other way to make a suggestion? That's
what I thought I was doing here.
--
Doyle_D

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doyle_D shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.programming:

Thank you for the explanation. It does help me visualize the
spreadsheet vs. database concepts a bit better. Your suggestion to
have an Excel front end and a Access back end would probably do the
trick, but that is a bit too complex for your average user of Excel.
Certainly, it would take me a while to figure out how to set that up.
I was looking for something that would be as simple as merging
cells--just made it so that the cells don't have to be adjacent.

Maybe I have misunderstood something. I thought that I was making a
suggestion to the developers of Excel to add a feature to the product
or to show me where they already have if it is already in there.
From your explanations, I gather that such a function is not
available at this time in Excel without rigging a workaround using
Access.

So, my question now is.... How do I go about suggesting this to the
developers if not through this forum? I was directed here to this
forum via the product suggestions link in "Help" within Excel. Is
there any way to email the Microsoft developers or other way to make
a suggestion? That's what I thought I was doing here.

I'm sorry, but this is another 'big cardboard box with holes' issue.

You see this as a web forum on the Microsoft website, with optional
"suggestion" features and others bells and whistles. The Microsoft
support website is a rather recent development.

For me, this is a Usenet group (microsoft.public.excel.programming) on
a Usenet server (msnews.microsoft.com) which I read with a Usenet news
reader (XanaNews, others are Mozilla Thunderbird, Forté Agent,
Microsoft Outlook Express,...). There are hundreds of thousands of
other newsgroups, most of them not on Microsoft servers and not even
about Microsoft products. There are newsgroups about astronomy,
cooking, fishing, photography, cancer support groups, parenting,
politics,... Did you know that newsgroups (Usenet) are older than the
World Wide Web? The web started in 1994, but some newsgroups go back to
the early eighties.

Don't let my responses to your post hold you back! Because, perhaps,
there are Microsoft employees who are following this group?