Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can I use CreateObject for Windows Explorer?

Hi
I'm using VBA

At the moment to open windows explorer I'm using:

Shell "c:\winNT\explorer /n,/e,"

Is there a way to use CreateObject?

Would that be a better way or is Shell as good as it gets?

Thanks

Dave F.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave,

I would have thought that the window explorer does not support automation,
so CreateObject is not an option.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Dave F." wrote in message
Hi
I'm using VBA

At the moment to open windows explorer I'm using:

Shell "c:\winNT\explorer /n,/e,"

Is there a way to use CreateObject?

Would that be a better way or is Shell as good as it gets?

Thanks

Dave F.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can create aninstance of Internet Explorer as follows:

set ie= CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

It has te following methods :

ExecWB, Navigate2, QueryStatusWB,ShowBrowserBar

and the following properties:

AddressBar,Offline, ReadyState,RegisterAsBrowser,RegisterAsDropTarget,
Resizable,Silent,TheaterMode

There are no events.

"Dave F." wrote in message
Hi
I'm using VBA

At the moment to open windows explorer I'm using:

Shell "c:\winNT\explorer /n,/e,"

Is there a way to use CreateObject?

Would that be a better way or is Shell as good as it gets?

Thanks

Dave F.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for replying

What programs do support automation?
Is it only those that have VBA built into them?

or are there other ways to interact with them?

Cheers
Dave F.

"Dave F." wrote in message
Hi
I'm using VBA

At the moment to open windows explorer I'm using:

Shell "c:\winNT\explorer /n,/e,"

Is there a way to use CreateObject?

Would that be a better way or is Shell as good as it gets?

Thanks

Dave F.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The OP asked about windows explorer and you responded with information on
Internet Explorer - were you suggesting Internet Explore as an
alternative/replacement for windows explorer?

Tom Ogilvy

"Dave F." wrote in message
Hi
I'm using VBA

At the moment to open windows explorer I'm using:

Shell "c:\winNT\explorer /n,/e,"

Is there a way to use CreateObject?

Would that be a better way or is Shell as good as it gets?

Thanks

Dave F.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alternatively, try:

Sub aa()
Set xx = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
xx.Exec "EXPLORER.EXE c:\ajay"
Set xx = Nothing
End Sub

"Dave F." wrote in message
Hi
I'm using VBA

At the moment to open windows explorer I'm using:

Shell "c:\winNT\explorer /n,/e,"

Is there a way to use CreateObject?

Would that be a better way or is Shell as good as it gets?

Thanks

Dave F.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for replying,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same as (or v. similar to)
doing:

Shell "c:\winNT\explorer /n,/e, c:\ajay"

Dave F.