Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel startup settings

This evening I ran into a problem with starting excel or more precisely
opening workbooks.
I was writing some code in an addin I am developing. As close as I can
recreate the problem it went something like this:

I opened MyAddin which automatically opens MyFile. I created a new Forms
command button on MyFile and opened the dialog to assign a macro. Since the
target macro is in MyAddin it didn't show up on the list (as expected). I
typed in the macro name (BUT critically, I think I forgot to enter
"MyAddin.xla!" to fully qualify the location of this macro). When I clicked
the button, it started another addin (Rob Bovey's VBA CodeCleaner) which
crashed in mid procedure.

I'm not sure how started this sub but I suspect that lacking a fully
qualified assigned name, my button click caused the program to search thru
all available addins til it locates one with the name I assigned to the
button.

The problem now is that the above mentioned crash seems to have left some
excel setting modified (which I assume would have been re-set if I could have
completed the CodeCleaner procedure).

The current symptom I am having is that whenever I click on a workbook icon
in the desktop or wherever, an instance of Excel is opened but the particular
workbook does NOT open. (I get the same blank grey screen that I get whenever
I close all workbooks, but have not closed the xl program.) I can then use
FileOpen and find the file again and open it, or click on New to open a new
wbk.

So, the question: Is there a way to re-set some property of Excel so I can
directly open files from the window icons?

TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Look in tools=Options in the general tab and see if "Ignore Other
applications" is checked. If so, uncheck it. (you need a workbook open at
the time to get into options)

If that doesn't work, then close excel and go to the windows start menu, and
select run. type in

excel.exe /regserver
and click OK. This will refresh excels registry settings.

One of these will usually rectify that problem.

Tom Ogilvy

"cush" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Cush,
Can you tell us which of those two suggestions, that Tom gave, worked?
Alok Joshi

"cush" wrote:

Worked a charm. thanks

"cush" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Actually, I tried the first which worked, so I did the 2nd for good measure :-)

"Alok" wrote:

Cush,
Can you tell us which of those two suggestions, that Tom gave, worked?
Alok Joshi

"cush" wrote:

Worked a charm. thanks