Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I enter $1225 as $12.25 without typeing the decmial?

in excel I wat to enter dollars and cent with out typeing in the decmial.
The same way you do in an adding machine
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Toolsoptions...Editfixed decimals and 2

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"stayton" wrote in message
in excel I wat to enter dollars and cent with out typeing in the decmial.
The same way you do in an adding machine

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick,
Doesn't that mean ALL entries are of that form? How would you do
it if only one column was required to be as requested?

"stayton" wrote in message
in excel I wat to enter dollars and cent with out typeing in the decmial.
The same way you do in an adding machine

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You couldn't. You could use a helper column

=A2/100

This could then be copied over

You could take a cell with 100 in, copy it and then select your data and
EditPaste special....Values and divide

or you could set up some code in the worksheet_change() event, but this may
be overkill...be quite easy to code

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"stayton" wrote in message
in excel I wat to enter dollars and cent with out typeing in the
decmial.
The same way you do in an adding machine

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Original Question:
in excel I wat to enter dollars and cent with out typeing in the decmial.
The same way you do in an adding machine

Toppers interpretation:
if only one column was required to be as requested?

Based on the question asked, sounded like that is what was wanted (fixed
decimal) - there was no mention of a single column.

Tom Ogilvy

"stayton" wrote in message
in excel I wat to enter dollars and cent with out typeing in the

decmial.
The same way you do in an adding machine

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Toppers

For just one column you would need event code.

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then
With Target
If .Value < "" Then
.Value = .Value / 100
.NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00"
'remove the $ sign if don't want currency format
End If
End With
End If
ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Right-click your worksheet tab and "View Code". Copy/paste into that module.

Enter 1234 in A1 and see $12.34 returned.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP