Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Why use VB over VBA?

I am a self taught excel programmer and am embarking on development of
software for mass worldwide distribtion. Is there any reason why i should
consider using VB (which I have never used) over VBA within excel. Seems to
me excel can do everything I need and I understand that even if I were to
switch to VB my users will still have to have excel to use the program, so
is there any benefits in switching?

Sirry it's a pretty basi cquestion but there doesn't seem to be much info on
google on the subject.

Thanks and regards, Mark Stephens

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you are developing applications that will use Excel, and you have no
other over-arching considerations (such as the security of your code), then
just use VBA within Excel. VB will be an overhead which, at first, you don't
need, but may migrate to later.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mark Stephens" wrote in message
I am a self taught excel programmer and am embarking on development of
software for mass worldwide distribtion. Is there any reason why i should
consider using VB (which I have never used) over VBA within excel. Seems

me excel can do everything I need and I understand that even if I were to
switch to VB my users will still have to have excel to use the program, so
is there any benefits in switching?

Sirry it's a pretty basi cquestion but there doesn't seem to be much info

on
google on the subject.

Thanks and regards, Mark Stephens

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The main problem with using just Excel is that you can NOT protect the vba
code. There are programs widely available that will unprotect your
worksheet/ workbook and vba protection instantly, leaving it open to misuse.

One way around this is to use xl wrapped inside of a VB front loader.
A good source to check out is Professional Excel Development
by Steven Bullen et al

This requires a good knowledge of vba programming. It takes a simple
application through several stages of development from a stand-alone
spreadsheet using only xl formulas, to one using vba routines, class modules,
addins, VB, C, and XML.
Whatever your level, you may find it helpful to get to the next step. I'm
in my 3rd read and getting into the VB level. (Not a paid advert.) Hope this
helps

"Mark Stephens" wrote:

I am a self taught excel programmer and am embarking on development of
software for mass worldwide distribtion. Is there any reason why i should
consider using VB (which I have never used) over VBA within excel. Seems to
me excel can do everything I need and I understand that even if I were to
switch to VB my users will still have to have excel to use the program, so
is there any benefits in switching?

Sirry it's a pretty basi cquestion but there doesn't seem to be much info on
google on the subject.

Thanks and regards, Mark Stephens

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For what it's worth, a few years back I built a secure VB app that emulated
Excel using an ActiveX component called Formula One that behaved just like
Excel, as I recall. It might be an option for you. I just googled for it
and found: http://www.reportingengines.com/prod...x/overview.jsp

Ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
For what it's worth, a few years back I built a secure VB app that
emulated
Excel using an ActiveX component called Formula One that behaved just like
Excel, as I recall. It might be an option for you. I just googled for it
and found: http://www.reportingengines.com/prod...x/overview.jsp

Hi Ron,

I agree with you that Formula One was a great product in its time. But
IMO it's long since been surpassed by FarPoint's Spread control, and for a
whole lot less money too:

http://www.fpoint.com/products/spread/spread.aspx

--
Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

* Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
* Professional Excel Development
http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mark Stephens" wrote in message
My understanding was that even if the program was in vb my users would

still
need excel anyway is this not so?

Yes, unless you want to try to emulate Excel via your own code or 3rd party
controls.
--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I appreciate your input guys, it has helped me understand the issues. For my
'professional edition' there would be no problem in requiring my users to
have excel but for my 'personal version I will definitely have to use VB as
it will probably be licensed at about US$ 500 per year and so excel will
double it's price.

For the professional edition I will include a proprietory algorithm which
needs to be protected does anyone know anything about Savvysoft's turbo
excel it looks like an excellent solution for protecting an algorithm?

Anyway thanks again for your input, Mark:)

"Mark Stephens" wrote:

I am a self taught excel programmer and am embarking on development of
software for mass worldwide distribtion. Is there any reason why i should
consider using VB (which I have never used) over VBA within excel. Seems
me excel can do everything I need and I understand that even if I were to
switch to VB my users will still have to have excel to use the program,
so
is there any benefits in switching?

Sirry it's a pretty basi cquestion but there doesn't seem to be much info
on
google on the subject.

Thanks and regards, Mark Stephens

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes you will still need Excel, and you will need to use automaton to access
Excel workbooks, not difficult, but does require more work.

Plus, you will need to own VB, and that is a cost.

--

"RWN" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Rob. Good information.
Next time I get that kind of project I'm sure I'll steer towards FarPoint's
product.

Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It all depends on what your application does.
As it sounds like a big project with big money I think it is definitely
worth buying the book:
Professional Excel Development, by Bullen, Bovey and Green.
There are nearly 100 pages about using VB with Excel.
I have only just started with this, but found already good use for it,
namely to transfer VBA code
to ActiveX dll's for speed (up to about twice as fast) and code protection.
The other big advantage I can see is to use VB userforms in Excel.

RBS