Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Red Red is offline

Default WHAT COMBINATION OF A SET OF NUMBERS COMES CLOSEST TO A FIXED NUMB

I HAVE A GROUP OF 14 TO 20 6 DIGIT NUMBERS ALL POSITIVE.I NEED TO FIND THE
RIGHT SET OF OF NUMBERS FROM THIS GROUP THAT WILL ADD UP THE CLOSEST TO
100,000 WITHOUT GOING UNDER.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Red,

It is impossible to add 6 digit numbers to get to 100,000, which is the
lowest possible 6 digit number. Perhaps you have mis-stated your problem.

(And, no need to type in CAPS - it's hard to read....)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"RED" wrote in message
I HAVE A GROUP OF 14 TO 20 6 DIGIT NUMBERS ALL POSITIVE.I NEED TO FIND THE
RIGHT SET OF OF NUMBERS FROM THIS GROUP THAT WILL ADD UP THE CLOSEST TO
100,000 WITHOUT GOING UNDER.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pick any single number and you have the answer. the lowest 6 digit number
you can have is 100,000. If you want the one closest to 100,000 then

=min(A1:A20)

Tom Ogilvy

"RED" wrote in message
I HAVE A GROUP OF 14 TO 20 6 DIGIT NUMBERS ALL POSITIVE.I NEED TO FIND THE
RIGHT SET OF OF NUMBERS FROM THIS GROUP THAT WILL ADD UP THE CLOSEST TO
100,000 WITHOUT GOING UNDER.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Red,

It is impossible to add 6 digit numbers to get to 100,000, which is the
lowest possible 6 digit number. Perhaps you have mis-stated your problem.

(And, no need to type in CAPS - it's hard to read....)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"RED" wrote in message

Sorry my mistake i mean 5 digit.

I HAVE A GROUP OF 14 TO 20 5 DIGIT NUMBERS ALL POSITIVE.I NEED TO FIND THE
RIGHT SET OF OF NUMBERS FROM THIS GROUP THAT WILL ADD UP THE CLOSEST TO
100,000 WITHOUT GOING UNDER.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I modified a copy Myrna Larson's code (for permutations and combinations) to
calculate the nearest set of values to 100,000 for a subset of 6 five digit
numbers from a set of 20 randomly generated numbers.

Code can be found at the link below which was copied from a previous reply
by Tom Ogilvy to a posting on Combinations and Permutations ; if this link
fails, search on "Permutations and Combinations" in this NG to find Tom's
reply):

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

If you look at this and need the code changes (only a few lines) , then
repost.

HTH

"RED" wrote in message

Sorry my mistake i mean 5 digit.

I HAVE A GROUP OF 14 TO 20 5 DIGIT NUMBERS ALL POSITIVE.I NEED TO FIND THE
RIGHT SET OF OF NUMBERS FROM THIS GROUP THAT WILL ADD UP THE CLOSEST TO
100,000 WITHOUT GOING UNDER.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Red,

Email me privately (take out the spaces and change the dot to . ) and I
will send you a workbook that will do what you want.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP