Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default document control number

I would like to create a 5-digit document control number for an Excel
worksheet. I only want the number to change when I initiate the change. The
RAND() function does not facilitate this.

Any ideas anyone? Thank you!

Mark Barnard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

last digit of year
3 digit day of year
1 digit for hour

That gives 10 years of uniqueness at 1 hour resolution.

for a one year unique number with increased resolution
3 digit day of year, two digit designator of quarter hour resolution.

If you can use letters and numbers, you could get much more creative.

However, if you do it with a formula, the hour would change. You would need
an intentional circular reference to keep it from changing.

Otherwise, you can update it with a macro and not use formulas.

Tom Ogilvy