Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sharing data with Java?

Here in the US we use Excel and VBA to price, document, and quote deals.
But our parent company in Switzerland is totally into Java. And they would
like the entire world to use the same applications. But pricing is
completely different in the US, so we are partially protected. But to keep
our programs, and to make them happy, we have to communicate. So what is
the best way for a spreadsheet to get and send data to Java? They said
something about pointers is the way they'd like to do it. I could see
sharing an ODBC database.

Don <www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have used 2 methods to read spreadsheets from Java
1) convert to .csv - OK for just reading the data from a single worksheet
2) an IBM product called 'bridge2java' that exposes various object models
(excel, word, etc.) as java classes. check it out at:-
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/bridge2java

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don Wiss shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.programming:

Here in the US we use Excel and VBA to price, document, and quote
deals. But our parent company in Switzerland is totally into Java.
And they would like the entire world to use the same applications.
But pricing is completely different in the US, so we are partially
protected. But to keep our programs, and to make them happy, we have
to communicate. So what is the best way for a spreadsheet to get and
send data to Java? They said something about pointers is the way
they'd like to do it. I could see sharing an ODBC database.

ODBC would be my choice. Both Excel and Java speak ODBC.

Don <www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I don't do email. Only if you bribe^Wpay me enough. ;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?