Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default run an add-in from a macro

can anyone tell me what I need to do to get an xla add-in to run from a
macro? I tried recording it, but it came up blank.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Example:

AddIns("Analysis Toolpak").Installed = True

--

Vasant

"JurgenBrea" wrote in message ...
can anyone tell me what I need to do to get an xla add-in to run from a
macro? I tried recording it, but it came up blank.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jurgen,

Do you mean?

Application.Run "myAddin.xla!myProc"

.... with parameters

Application.Run "myAddin.xla!myProc", 4, 8

--

HTH

RP

"JurgenBrea" wrote in message ...
can anyone tell me what I need to do to get an xla add-in to run from a
macro? I tried recording it, but it came up blank.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I do mean that, yes! Though I'm apparently doing something
wrong.... this is what I have in the macro:
Range("D110:F135").Select
AddIns("Flat File Exporter").Installed = False 'for some reason this
add-in needs to be disabled then re-enabled for it to work
AddIns("Flat File Exporter").Installed = True
Application.Run "c:\analysis dump\flatfile.xla!export"

I wasn't sure what you meant by myProc, so took a guess - the add-in exports
files, and it's done by clicking data|export.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Jurgen,

Do you mean?

Application.Run "myAddin.xla!myProc"

... with parameters

Application.Run "myAddin.xla!myProc", 4, 8

--

HTH

RP

"JurgenBrea" wrote in message
can anyone tell me what I need to do to get an xla add-in to run from a
macro? I tried recording it, but it came up blank.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

any idea how I can see what the proc is called? I tried opening the xla
file, but nothing appears to open. Lots of questions I know, but I've NEVER
worked with xla's before....

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jurgen,

I don't understand what you are trying to find out. If you have this little
knowledge of xla's, what prompted you to enter this forum and ask the
question? Or to put it another way, what is the problem that you are
experiencing (not the question you originally asked, but the problem that
made you ask).

--

HTH

RP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I entered the forum to ask the question because although I have never worked
with xla's before, I've written quite a few macros and found this newsgroup
very useful in the past. I am currently editing someone elses work, and am
stuck on the xla issue. If I didn't write the xla - how can I get into it
to find out what the procedure is called so that I can call it as you have
suggested?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good morning Jurgen,

The thing is, you normally use an add-in because it has some functionality
that you want to use, that is you know what it contains. Also, add-ins
usually have some sort of interface to expose their functions, such as a
menu, toolbars, or whatever. The first place to look at what it does is the
documentation with the add-in (if it has any), the interface and play with
it (again if it has one). I was just getting lost as to what you wanted to
do, and why as there may be another way to achieve what you want.

If you must look at the procedures within an add-in , you could try going
into the VBE and looking at the code. If it is protected, you could set a
reference to that add-in from another project, and then use the object
browser to look at its properties and methods. However, unless very clear
names have been used, you may be none the wiser.

--

HTH

RP