Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Default Help with McGimpsey's Seq No Function, please?

I'm trying to generate a sequential number. I have a workbook ( .xls) used
as a "template" to create new order forms. Each form must have a sequential
number. The number is generated and inserted into the proper cell, then the
workbook is SavedAs with the sequential number as part of the new file name.
(I was trying to use an incremented CustomDocumentProperty when I finally
realized the incremented number got saved with the new file, while the
original number stayed with the original "template" file!)

I copied the text file macro (from
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel*/udfs...ntialnums.html) into the same
module I have all the other macros for this workbook, and inserted the
calling line
ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Range("B2").Value = GetNextSeqNumber
in the macro that inserts the new sequential number.

When stepping through this, the code runs right over that line, and
GetNextSeqNumber stays empty. The code never steps into the function to
generate the next number, and the text file that is supposed to hold the
number is never generated (it does not exist now).

What am I doing wrong?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ed,

When I look at that page I see a funtion called "NextSeqNumber," which is
different than the name you use below. Is it possible that you are calling
the function by the wrong name?

hth,

Doug

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should change GetNextSeqNumber to NextSeqNumber

On his page the function name is "Public Function NextSeqNumber"

so you should be calling NextSeqNumber instead of GetNextSeqNumber. When
you call GetNextSeqNumber, you are calling an undefined variant variable
that is populating with the cell either with a null string or more likely
the value zero.

I think JE forgot the name of his function when he wrote the lower part of
the page. (or intended to go back and rename it to match)

Tom Ogilvy

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Did you get a stray hyphen in the URL when you clicked it?

(the OP is following JE's advice - believe JE forgot to rename the
function).

Tom Ogilvy

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

I got an error 404 when I clicked on the link (didn't note exactly what the
difference was) and then surfed from there. Thanks for the clarification.

Ed,

I believe that setting your VBE to "declare variable declaration" would have
helped you track this down. It would have generated a compile error
something like "unknown variable name." Ditto using the the VBE's
Autocomplete feature, i.e., typing the first few letters of the function and
then hitting Ctl-Space to show completion options, which would have
indicated that there was no function with that name.

Just my 2 cents from hours of experience doing it the hard way.

Doug

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In article ,
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

I think JE forgot the name of his function when he wrote the lower part of
the page. (or intended to go back and rename it to match)

Yup. Thanks for pointing it out! - it's fixed now.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Thanks, Doug. I forget why I chose not use the "declare variable
declaration" - it was probably some newbie frustration of mine that I
couldn't stand being reminded of everything I was forgetting! I never knew
about the Ctrl+space - that will come in handy!

Ed