Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Office VBE SourceSafe Integration Improvement?

Since i've learned that sourcesafe can be integrated into the VBE for
Excel, I've had about a month of experience with it writing code with 3
other developers.

While source control is DEFINITELY the way to go, the Office
integration addin is bad. Perhaps it is flawed in part because the
office VBIDE object model is much more limited than the VB6 version,
but we also think it has some serious built-in flaws.

For example, if a user adds a module to source control in a particular
project, when another user does "Get Latest Version", it will not
download or alert the user that a new module is available. Also, there
is no way that we see to use the menu to download the new module to the
workbook.

Also, it is often so slow as to be unusable. In a particular, i have a
..xla file with 120 modules, and a Get Latest Version takes 30 minutes
to load. This is clearly ridiculous since the public drive is not that
slow. I have found the sourcesafetypelib and have wrote my own VBIDE
addin to fix some of these bugs, and my code can retrieve the 120
modules from sourcesafe in less than half a minute. It should not take
an additional 30 minutes to load the modules to the workbook. We think
the sourcesafe addin must be trapping some ModuleAdded event and
executing some code each time it imports a module from sourcesafe.
This is just a coding error by the intern that spent a summer making
this Office add-in.

We've considered just building our own sourcesafe addin, but if we just
had access to the source code of the office VBE addin, we could just
fix it ourselves. Does anyone have access to the source code for this
addin? Is it even written in VB?

One problem that we'd have in writing our own SuckSafe addin is that
the vbproject events are contained in _dispVBProjectsEvents and
_dispVBComponentsEvents, which i dont think (correct me if i'm wrong)
are creatable or referencable in VB (VBA or VB6).

Has anyone ever attempted to trap these events? Has anyone ever made
their own sourcesafe addin? Does anyone know where the property of a
codemodule locks the codemodule so that if you try to edit it, it
returns "Can't edit module"? If i were to build my own, i would
definitely need to know how to lock a module for editing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.