Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
EQ EQ is offline

Default Adding up #s in Excel

I have a list numbers in a column of cells that I would like to add up.
The only constraint is that I want to output the total sum of numbers
before each cell. Lets say I have 5 in B2, 13 in B3, 1 in B4, and 8 in
B5. I want to get 5 in C2, 18 in C3, 19 in C4, and 27 in C5.

I know I can do this by creating a SUM function for each cell
(C3=SUM(B2:B3) and then C4=SUM(B2:B4) and so forth) but I have more than
50 cells, and it will be a torture by these means.

What should I use to progressively get this sum?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could use this in C2:
= SUM($B$2:$B2)
and copy it down the rest of column C

"EQ" wrote:

I have a list numbers in a column of cells that I would like to add up.
The only constraint is that I want to output the total sum of numbers
before each cell. Lets say I have 5 in B2, 13 in B3, 1 in B4, and 8 in
B5. I want to get 5 in C2, 18 in C3, 19 in C4, and 27 in C5.

I know I can do this by creating a SUM function for each cell
(C3=SUM(B2:B3) and then C4=SUM(B2:B4) and so forth) but I have more than
50 cells, and it will be a torture by these means.

What should I use to progressively get this sum?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
EQ EQ is offline

Thanks... but here's what is happening. Now everytime I put something in
the first column (lest say B1), everything changes in the whole table.
I'm trying to create a record of employees and their absence hours. So,
if the employee in column A1 was absent today, I put the amount of hours
he was out in B1.
This will cause C1 to substract from the amount of hours he's allowed to
use in a year.

If I keep that formula, then all of my employees below the one I'm
updating, will have the same record.

Can I avoid this from happening, so that only the row I'm working on
will be the one affected by the changes?

Thanks again...

adding in excel Led_A_Muck[_2_] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 October 30th 08 06:29 PM
Adding with excel Gen Needs Help[_2_] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 November 27th 07 02:59 AM
Adding in Excel cb New Users to Excel 4 October 7th 07 10:31 PM
Adding in Excel Ron Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 March 16th 06 12:22 AM
Adding on excel Laura \( '_' \) New Users to Excel 17 January 4th 06 08:29 AM