Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding in excel

How do you use the sum function in a column to add only the cells that are
visable not the hidden ones? I have several cells hidden and when I use the
sum function it adds all cells seen and un-seen.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are they hidden due to Filtering? Or why are they hidden.
If hidden due to filtering, read up on the SUBTOTAL function.
If not, provide more detail, formulas, sample, current result, expected
result.
--
** John C **

"Led_A_Muck" wrote:

How do you use the sum function in a column to add only the cells that are
visable not the hidden ones? I have several cells hidden and when I use the
sum function it adds all cells seen and un-seen.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2003 and later use subtotal

=SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A500)

will sum visible cells

if you are using a filter than this will work as well

=SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A500)

that works for earlier versions as well

Peo Sjoblom

"Led_A_Muck" wrote in message
How do you use the sum function in a column to add only the cells that are
visable not the hidden ones? I have several cells hidden and when I use
the
sum function it adds all cells seen and un-seen.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=sum(a1..a2)+sum(a4..a5) and so on and so on and so on

--
Rui

"Led_A_Muck" wrote in message
How do you use the sum function in a column to add only the cells that are
visable not the hidden ones? I have several cells hidden and when I use
the
sum function it adds all cells seen and un-seen.

Adding in Excel Corey Excel Worksheet Functions 3 October 1st 08 07:55 PM
Adding in Excel cb New Users to Excel 4 October 7th 07 10:31 PM
Adding in Excel [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 May 18th 07 09:51 PM
Adding in Excel Ron Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 March 16th 06 12:22 AM
Adding on excel Laura \( '_' \) New Users to Excel 17 January 4th 06 08:29 AM