Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Show what options are in custom function?

I am using Office 2003 on Windows XP.

Suppose you have a custom public function which requires certain arguments.
Suppose further that one of those arguments could be one of three choices.

When you call the function and open the parentheses you see the listed
arguments. Is it also possible to show the three possible choices for the one
argument?

Is so, could someone please illustrate how to do this? See example function
below:

Public Function CalculateValue(argItem1, argItem2, argType) as Long
If argType = "Normal" then ...
If argType = "Modified" then ...
If argType = "None" then ...
End Function

When I'm entering a call to the function as in: Call
CalculateValue(lngValue1, lngValue2, ...), when I get to the point where I
need to enter the "argType" I want to see what my options are (i.e. Normal,
Modified, or None). Kind of like auto-sensing.

Can this be done? If so, how? Thanks much in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can't have the editor display the possible choices for an
argument unless the argument's type is Long. In this case, you
use an Enum type. E.g.,

Public Enum MyType
Modified = 0
Normal = 1
None = 2
End Enum

Function MyFunction(Arg1 As MyType)
' your code here
End Function

With enums, you don't have to supply the actual values, as show
in my example. If you omit the values, the first value will be
zero, and values will be sequentail. Note that enums are
supported in Excel 2000 at later.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Only if you use the function wizard to insert the function and supply help
for the arguments of a function. This can't be done with VBA alone. You
can use Larent Longre's addin free addin to assist.

http://xcell05.free.fr/

There is no option for it to work like autosense, however.

Tom Ogilvy

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Chip and Tom.
Sorry, I should have made it clearer Tom, I was looking for the VBE method.

Thanks for your reply.

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You checks would then be against the enum types defined:

Public Function CalculateValue(argItem1, argItem2, argType As MyType) As
Long
Dim sMsg As String
If argType = Modified Then
sMsg = "Modified"
ElseIf argType = Normal Then
sMsg = "Normal"
ElseIf argType = None Then
sMsg = "None"
Else
sMsg = "Not Valid"
End If

End Function

Without quotes.

Tom Ogilvy

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pls clarify how to call an Addin from another addin using VBA

I Need to call an addin from another addin and also I need to pass arguments
to that addin. Is it possible. If so pls give me suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you mean a macro within the addin? That would be

.... with parameters

Application.Run "myAddin.xla!test_msgbox", 4, 8

--
HTH

Bob Phillips