Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Program Understanding

Hello one and all,

I have bit of challenge to some of you guys who know how to interpret
excel programs - and have little knowledge of the stock market

I have attached an excel program that attempts to find out when a stock
(or any security) on the New York Stock Exchange has reversed from what
we call bullish to bearish.

Let me try to explain a little further:

When traders are buying a particular stock, lets say Microsoft (MSFT),
the volume of shares of that stock will typical go up which is referred
to a bullish or buying volume. On the flip side when traders are selling
a particular stock the volume of the shares may still go up but its no
longer bullish volume but is now referred to bearish or selling volume.

The attached program attempts to find when the volume changes from
bullish to bearish, and vica versa. I was wondering if someone could
just give me a breakdown of how the program achieves this end?

Cheers

Carlton

Volume Reversal Alerts = (If((H<Ref(H,-1)) AND (L<Ref(L,-1)) AND
(V<Ref(V,-1)),-1,(If((HRef(H,-1)) AND (LRef(L,-1)) AND
(VRef(V,-1)),1,0))))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Don,

Thanks for getting back to me.

By attachments I simply meant the program I originally pasted, i.e.

Volume Reversal Alerts = (if((h<ref(h,-1)) AND (l<ref(l,-1)) AND
(v<ref(v,-1)),-1,(If((HRef(H,-1)) AND (LRef(L,-1))
AND(VRef(V,-1)),1,0))))

Cheers

Carlton

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi again,

Basically, I would like someone to take a look at the program and break
it down to me.

Thanks again.

Carlton

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I doubt anyone will be able to give you any explanation without
context. What do H, REF, V, L, etc., refer to?

I suspect the code is from a language that allows much greater
flexibility than VB(A) in how variable names are associated with
programming entities (LISP or something similar, maybe?)

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , cpatte7372
@yahoo.com says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

To be honest, I think if anyone is going to be able to give me an
explanation they would need an understanding of how the stock market
works.

Anyway, L=Long, which simply means to buy. S=Short, which means to sell.
And V=Volume, which is essentially the quantity of shares.

Cheers

Carlton

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Carlton,

Where is this code? I don't think it was copied and pasted from Excel or
VBA, which wouldn't allow spaces in variable-names.
Also "ref" vs "Ref" suggest something other than VBA

Although you call it a program, I assume it is just one line from a greater
construct. Can you give us some more context?

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Carlton Patterson" wrote in message
Hi Don,

Thanks for getting back to me.

By attachments I simply meant the program I originally pasted, i.e.

Volume Reversal Alerts = (if((h<ref(h,-1)) AND (l<ref(l,-1)) AND
(v<ref(v,-1)),-1,(If((HRef(H,-1)) AND (LRef(L,-1))
AND(VRef(V,-1)),1,0))))

Cheers

Carlton

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Niek,

Thanks for your response.

I think the best way to demonstrate what this program is would be to
send you the excel application. Can I post it on this forum? If not can
I send it to you via email? Its not very big so it won't take up too
much space.

Cheers

Carlton

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I said before you can also send to me. Although I was once a series 7
licensed broker I can't figure out what you want either.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Carlton Patterson" wrote in message
Hi Niek,

Thanks for your response.

I think the best way to demonstrate what this program is would be to
send you the excel application. Can I post it on this forum? If not can
I send it to you via email? Its not very big so it won't take up too
much space.

Cheers

Carlton

*** Sent via Developersdex