Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Keyboard shortcut for formula bar?

Is there a keyboard shortcut, (or vba method) that opens the formula bar to
edit the active cell? I want to keep the option of editing within a cell, as
is my default for the F2 key, but oftentimes when editing within a cell the
panel that opens to display/edit the cell contents obscures the view of the
nearby cells.

Editing cell contents within the formula bar resolves this, but I would like
to eliminate the need for a mouse click to open the formula bar.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks,

Your suggestion will open the Insert Function dialog, and this does provide
another option, but what I really want is to activate the formula bar to
allow editing of existing formulas in the formula bar, not in the cell or in
the Insert Function dialog box.

This would be the normal result of pressing the F2 key when the
Application.EditDirectlyInCell is False, but I am concluding that there is no
way to do this with a key combination when EditDirectlyInCell is True.

I guess I'll just assign a macro that toggles EditDirectlyInCell to False,
and then use the F2 key to open it for editing... or I could just grab for
the @$%?! mouse!

Thanks,

TK

"keepITcool" wrote:

i think you want shift f3

--
keepITcool

T Kirtley wrote :

Is there a keyboard shortcut, (or vba method) that opens the formula
bar to edit the active cell? I want to keep the option of editing
within a cell, as is my default for the F2 key, but oftentimes when
editing within a cell the panel that opens to display/edit the cell
contents obscures the view of the nearby cells.

Editing cell contents within the formula bar resolves this, but I
would like to eliminate the need for a mouse click to open the
formula bar.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tools Options Edit Edit directly in cell

or assign a shortcut to a macro in your Personal to toggle the setting

Sub EditInCell()

Application.EditDirectlyInCell = Not Application.EditDirectlyInCell

End sub

Regards,
Peter T