Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cannot copy addin locally error?

I have an addin on the public drive which I need others in the company
to use. On one particular computer, when I do Tools | Add-ins |
Browse, choose the file, it prompts me for whether or not i want to
copy it locally. I press yes, then I get the following error in a
MsgBox with only an OK button:

"Unable to copy add-in to library."

When does this happen? How do i fix it? I could just copy the add-in
manually, but the point is that I care what causes the above error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Two possible problems, but one is more likely than the other... Lets start
there. Someone attached to the addin, but instead of making a local copy they
are attached to it directly. They have it open and this gives them exclusive
access as far as Excel is concerned. Find out who is holding it and get them
a local copy. The other much more remote possiblitiy is that they do not have
write access to their addins directory. This is a long shot but hey you never
know... Those are my bright ideas on the subject...

HTH

"R Avery" wrote:

I have an addin on the public drive which I need others in the company
to use. On one particular computer, when I do Tools | Add-ins |
Browse, choose the file, it prompts me for whether or not i want to
copy it locally. I press yes, then I get the following error in a
MsgBox with only an OK button:

"Unable to copy add-in to library."

When does this happen? How do i fix it? I could just copy the add-in
manually, but the point is that I care what causes the above error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A little late with the reply... sorry.

I had this exact same problem, and the reason was (as Jim Thomlinson
suggested) that the users were not allowed to install anything to their
local drive. They ran EVERYTHING off network drives. So, when they
atttempt to load the add-in, they should reply "No" to the copy locally
question and just run the Add-In off of the network drive. I was sceptical
about this at first, as I thought there might be problems running an add-in
off a network drive, but it has worked out just fine. Unless of course the
network goes down...

Mark

oups.com...