Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VB for importing data into excel in proper columns

This is a repost from worksheet.functions. I was told to copy and paste but
appropriate columns but it's not possible so I'm looking for an answer here
in programming. I have data on the company's server that can be exported in
comma deliminated format and when I import and open, the header row is
complete. My question is how do I, when importing, get the various headers
to import into an existing header I have, with different names.How do I get
the imported data into the headers I want each time that I import these
files.
I'm trying to do this without intervention so that everyone (20 employees in
the bureau) can simply download the information and have it
automatically be placed where it needs to. My problem is I don't know that
much about VB or Macro's to do this.
So if someone can help with vb programming or a macro to look at the
imported information, with 20 rows of data and import into my
existing worksheet that already has information in it.
Something like:
A1 = LName
A2 = FName
A3 = ERName
A4 = ERaddr1
A5 = ERaddr2
A6 = City etc. all of these would be column headers with 20 rows of info
below....
INTO
A1 = CLastName
A2 = CFirstName
A3 = EmployersName
A4 = EmployerAddress
A5 = EmployerExtension
A6 = City..... etc....

I need to import this and not disturb existing data, but add onto the
list....
Thanks
BOB Reynolds

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob,

I would import the data into a template worksheet with the same headings
each time. Then move the values over to the proper worksheet using copy and
paste.

Since we don't have your data base it is difficult for us to tell you how to
do this.
Try recording your actions in a marcro when importing and copying and
pasting. This will write the code for you then you can post the code again
asking more specific questions.

To record a macro in the Tools Menu Macro Record New Macro ... name the
macro then press "Ok".
All your actions will be written in Vba in the visual basic editor. To
enter the visual basic editor press "Alt F11" then look under the folder
named Modules, your code should be in "Module1".
Hope this gets you started. :)

Rocky McKinley

.. .