John Thomson

Default Text to Columns / Importing Data

I frequently import data to Excel from ShowcaseStrategy - an SQL database -
or from as400 queries. There are instances when Excel won't recognize the
exact same data. For example, if in cell A1 I type "Dog" and I import the
text "Dog" into cell B1, and in cell C1 I enter the function
=IF(A1=B1,"Match","Non-Match"), the resulting value in C1 would be
"Non-Match".
(This is a simplified example. I am usually using VLOOKUP to pull matching
records from tens of thousands of imported records to an existing table, and
Excel won't recognize the exact same text.)
Now, doing a Text To Columns function on the imported data immediately
removes whatever transgression prevents the recognition by Excel that the
cell value is in fact the same.
Does anyone know WHY this works?
(Please note, the data is exactly the same. There are no hidden characters
or spaces elluding me, the formats - not that that should have any affect -
are the same, yet any comparison function doesn't not recognize a match until
after the Text to Columns is applied. Which is fine. I get my work done.
But it drives me crazy not knowing why.)
Thanks to whoever might offer any insight!