Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Displaying zeros as dashes on a worksheet

I have a spreadsheet where there are several zeros. I would like the
zeros displayed as dashes (-) but would like this to happen without a
VBA function or sub. And, I still need to perform mathematical
operations on the cell value...so while it displays as a dash I would
like it to be recognized as a zero.

Can this be accomplished using the Format features through the
interface? Or am I out of luck and going to have to do this through
VBA?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Eric,

This can be done with formatting under Format|Cells|Number. Select the
Custom format and type in something like the following:

0;0;-

The first format is for positive numbers, the second for negative numbers
and the third for zeros.

John Green

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a spreadsheet where there are several zeros. I would like the
zeros displayed as dashes (-) but would like this to happen without a
VBA function or sub. And, I still need to perform mathematical
operations on the cell value...so while it displays as a dash I would
like it to be recognized as a zero.

Can this be accomplished using the Format features through the
interface? Or am I out of luck and going to have to do this through
VBA?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John Green wrote:
Eric,

This can be done with formatting under Format|Cells|Number. Select

the
Custom format and type in something like the following:

0;0;-

The first format is for positive numbers, the second for negative

numbers
and the third for zeros.

John Green

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a spreadsheet where there are several zeros. I would like

the
zeros displayed as dashes (-) but would like this to happen without

VBA function or sub. And, I still need to perform mathematical
operations on the cell value...so while it displays as a dash I

would
like it to be recognized as a zero.

Can this be accomplished using the Format features through the
interface? Or am I out of luck and going to have to do this

through
VBA?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Thanks for the replies - this is exactly what I was looking for!
Eric