Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Form Combo Box, Protection?

I have a combo box created from the form

Protecting the sheet disables the form. I can't click the drop down and
select something. The drop down shows... but trying to pick one of the
entries causes the generic read only error.

I have tried adding the link cell to the allowed edit ranges.
I even added the ENTIRE sheet as editable.
Using the Locked check box has no effect either on the error.
I can physically change the link cell and the value in the box will change
to match. but using the form itself wont work...

Whats going on with this?

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lock/unlock refers to a cell (format|cells|protection tab)

protected/unprotected refers to the worksheet (tools|protection|protect sheet)

protected/unprotected can also refer to the workbook (tools|protection|protect
workbook) or even protection via the File|SaveAs dialog.

(and protected/unprotected can also refer to the VBA Project)

===
When I tested, I had the linked cell unlocked (format|cells|protection tab), but
the worksheet was protected.

The dropdown worked fine.

John Keith wrote:

The link cell is unprotected.
I can edit the link cell and key in an index number and the value shown
inside the combobox changes to match. The drop-down-selection from the combo
box is what isn't allowed with protection on. I have open up all of the
kinds of edits. When selecting "protect sheet" from the user allowed edit
ranges box... I checked all of them (to allow any kinds of edits) but the
error is the same. Even selecting A1:VI65536 as the allowed edit range wont
work.
I have tried adding a macro to the combo box and disabling protection as the
1st statement, but the protection error on the cell happens before the VBA
code is executed.

OH! your suggestion for using the link cell on a different sheet worked!
I'm not sure why that would solve this though. I really didn't expect that
to work, but for good measure I tested it and it WORKS! Now im curious if
that is how excel was intended to work.

Is there a difference between "unprotected" and "unlocked" or are they
synonymous?

Thanks for the reply