Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error on Opening : data may have been lost

I have a spreadsheet with command buttons on it that works
fine in Excel 2000, but when it is opened on a machine with
Excel 2003, the command buttons are missing, and it opens
with an error message:
file error: data may have been lost

All the references appear to be there. That is, I don't see
a MISSING at the beginning of any of their names.

When I try to compile it on the 2003 machine, I get the
error message,
"Can't exit design mode because Control 'cmdNumber'
can not be created."

cmdNumber is just one of the three command buttons that do
not show up when the file is opened in Excel 2003.

There is nothing on the support.microsoft.com website about
any of these error messages. Or at least, if there is, I
can't find it using their search tool.

thanks,
Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Each version of excel is a little different when it comes to dealing with
corruption in workbooks.

If I were you, I'd go back to xl2k and start recreating that workbook. If
xl2003 thinks that the workbook is corrupted, then maybe xl2k will start
thinking that way soon. (or it could go on forever with no problems--I just
wouldn't take that chance.)

--

Dave Peterson