Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Linking MS dictionary as data into Excel

I'm British. I've sourced some word lists, unfortunately they are US
English, with US spellings - not helpful with my end-use. It occurred to
me, the needed database already exists ...

PC already has an English dictionary (part of MSOffice). Is it possible to
import this as a wordlist into Excel?

Object of the exercise - to "query" the dictionary to return words which
match input criteria such as example -
G?GG?? (the length of word, 6 characters, ? a single wild-card) ?
The return to be all 6-letter words matching - gaggle, gagged gagger giggled
etc ... this an example, the query could be as few as 3 and as many as
sixteen letters.

There's a web-site which already does this on-line, but the reponse time is
slow. I'd like to create my own in Excel, if possible. Help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure you will be able to do that with the dictionary, but not something
I have tried.

If you want to go back to your original, this guy is posting from a UK url,
so perhaps he spells color as colour <g.

http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/research/ilash/Moby/

Tom Ogilvy

"Yabbadoo" wrote in message
I'm British. I've sourced some word lists, unfortunately they are US
English, with US spellings - not helpful with my end-use. It occurred to
me, the needed database already exists ...

PC already has an English dictionary (part of MSOffice). Is it possible to
import this as a wordlist into Excel?

Object of the exercise - to "query" the dictionary to return words which
match input criteria such as example -
G?GG?? (the length of word, 6 characters, ? a single wild-card) ?
The return to be all 6-letter words matching - gaggle, gagged gagger

giggled
etc ... this an example, the query could be as few as 3 and as many as
sixteen letters.

There's a web-site which already does this on-line, but the reponse time

is
slow. I'd like to create my own in Excel, if possible. Help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As ever, you are most helpful, and correct. The list "mword.tar.tar" appears
to originate from Sheffield Universtity. I know exactly where Sheffield
is - in Yorkshire, UK's largest county (I'm a Yorkshireman).
Have downloaded. It's said to be a ZIP file - Lord knows how I'm going to
get 387,000 words into Excel as a database! (ZIP, with a .tar.tar double
extension?? That'll be a good test of Winzip!! Manyana, it's too late now
(near midnight).
Thanks again, Tom. Sincerely, Len.