Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Yabbadoo Yabbadoo is offline

Default Linking MS dictionary as data into Excel

I'm British. I've sourced some word lists, unfortunately they are US
English, with US spellings - not helpful with my end-use. It occurred to
me, the needed database already exists ...

PC already has an English dictionary (part of MSOffice). Is it possible to
import this as a wordlist into Excel?

Object of the exercise - to "query" the dictionary to return words which
match input criteria such as example -
G?GG?? (the length of word, 6 characters, ? a single wild-card) ?
The return to be all 6-letter words matching - gaggle, gagged gagger giggled
etc ... this an example, the query could be as few as 3 and as many as
sixteen letters.

There's a web-site which already does this on-line, but the reponse time is
slow. I'd like to create my own in Excel, if possible. Help, please?