Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Xls protection?

If I protect excel workbook, sheet, and project with password with good
password, how much is excel file protected?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not too much. Moments for the project. A little longer for the
workbook/worksheets.

If you protect the workbook via File|SaveAs|Tools...

Then it'll be safer until someone pays for a password (to open) cracker.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Marc" wrote in message
If I protect excel workbook, sheet, and project with password with good
password, how much is excel file protected?

Thanks

That depends on who you want to protect your sheet from.
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/faqs/protectionFAQ.htm

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Marc

Excel workbook and worksheet passwords, no protection at all. Many, if not
all, of the regular contributors to the Excel News Groups could remove these
passwords in minutes. The passwords will stop the "typical" user but not
the more advanced. You can search the Google archives for references to
routines to remove "internal" passwords.

VBA Project and Windows file level passwords may take longer but are not
impervious to attack.

Regards

Trevor

"Marc" wrote in message
If I protect excel workbook, sheet, and project with password with good
password, how much is excel file protected?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Marc" wrote in message
If I protect excel workbook, sheet, and project with password with good
password, how much is excel file protected?

Thanks

The only way to really protect an excel file is to use something like
winzip. You zip the file and you enter a password. The only problem is that
you won't even be able to view the workbook unless you know the password.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote in message
And you can still get password crackers for WinZip

Regards

Trevor

Well, I found a paper where the authors discuss a way to attack the
encryption:
http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/tkohno/papers/WinZip/

If Winzip isn't enough, PGP probably is. The point is that the only way to
really protect a workbook is to encrypt the xls file using strong
encryption.

/Fredrik