Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default RTD, how do you stop/start it from pulling in data?

I have a spreadsheet that pulls in prices using a mixture of DDE and RTD
links, now with a program called DDE Server I can stop/start the realtime
links, but for any of the links in the sheets that have the =RTD in the
formula's these continue to retrieve data regardless if the DDE Server is
stopped.

Now i know the DDE and RTD are different, but is there anyone that knows how
to say Pause the retrieval of RTD links in the spreadsheet?

The only thing I found on MSFT's Knowledgebase was that if you select the
Manual calculation the data still comes through but it's cached locally, is
there anyone that might know how to Stop/Start the RTD links?

I know this is a programming Newsgroup, so I hope you'll share your
thoughts, as alas I am not a programmer...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"
m wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that pulls in prices using a mixture of DDE and RTD
links, now with a program called DDE Server I can stop/start the realtime
links, but for any of the links in the sheets that have the =RTD in the
formula's these continue to retrieve data regardless if the DDE Server is
stopped.

Now i know the DDE and RTD are different, but is there anyone that knows

how
to say Pause the retrieval of RTD links in the spreadsheet?

The only thing I found on MSFT's Knowledgebase was that if you select the
Manual calculation the data still comes through but it's cached locally,

is
there anyone that might know how to Stop/Start the RTD links?

I know this is a programming Newsgroup, so I hope you'll share your
thoughts, as alas I am not a programmer...

Hmm.. When you use RTD you call functions in a dll, right? Have you or your
company made the
dll? What happens when you stop a DDE link? Does it show the latest value or
an empty string, 0 or similar?

If you have made the dll, you could simply check the calculation mode within
the called function. If it's manual, bail out.

An alternative idea - I have no idea whether it would work - is to create a
User defined function that
wraps the RTD call. If it works, you could use an if statement to determine
whether to call RTD or not.

/Fredrik