Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SJC SJC is offline

Default Macro question

I have created a workbook that contains several spreadsheets--one for each
month of the year. I have about 200 novice users that will be recording some
monthly data and sending the report to me. Within each spreadsheet, I have
included a macro which will export what data I need and save it into a folder
so that they can easily find the file and email it to me. The users have
operating systems anywhere from Windows 95 to XP, so it was difficult to find
a folder to have these files saved to within the macro that fit all of the
operating systems. So, in the macro, I opened a new folder and saved the
file under the new folder to the C:\ drive, which would be universal to all
operating systems. So the way I have it set up is to have the May file be
the macro that opens up the new folder and stores the first file. Then
future month macros saves the new files to that same folder. The problem is
that if I have a user that doesn't use the program until August, that macro
obviously won't create the folder and cannot find the right path. Is there a
way to program the macro to create the new folder only if it hasn't been
previously created? Any other options to solve this problem? I apologize if
I am sounding confusing--I am fairly new to this macro business. Please
offer any recommendations. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use the dir function to determine if a file (or directory) exists.
One thing to be aware of is that it is possible that some users will not be
able to create files in their root of C. Often administrators lock the root
down to keep users from accidentally mucking up their systems. That is
something to confirm before you begin.

HTH

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SJC SJC is offline

Thank you for your advice. Do you have any other suggestions on a universal
place to put this file? Unfortuneately, there will be about 200 users from
dozens of organizations, so I will not be able to confirm the administration
of the c: drive for all of them. Is there a way to get to the "My Documents"
folder or "Desktop" that is universal to all operating systems?

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could use either thisworkbook.path or application.path... Probably
thisworkbook, which is the directory where they have saved your workbook. If
it is not saved then you could run into a problem... In that case
application.path which returns where the excel program is saved... End users
may not like this...

HTH

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

SJC, maybe Application.DefaultFilePath
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SJC SJC is offline

I think the 'thisworkbook.path' would work--can I still designate a name for
the file within the programming using this command? If so, how would that
look? I can successfully place the 'thisworkbook.path' where it belongs, but
I can't figure out a way in which I could name the new file. When the macro
is run, it transfers a portion of the data into the new file. The new file
is what I would like to rename to a universal path. I apologize--some of
this is new to me.

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok I am just a little bit lost in exactly what you want... The file you are
sending is going to create a new workbook and you want to save that workbook
somewhere that you will be able to get to it. Paul had a great suggestion on
the path. This one will work and should not cause any problems... How about
something like this

dim strPath as String
dim strFileName as string

strpath = Application.DefaultFilePath & "\"
strfilename = format(now(), "mmm") & "MyFile.xls"

activeworkbook.saveas strpath & strfilename

That is untested but it should be failry close...

HTH

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe just write the file and mail it, then delete the file - then path
isn't an issue:

Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...odc_xlmail.asp

If your users don't all use outlook (not outlook express) then this might be
less desirable.

Ron has instructions on using CDO, but I don't think it is distributed with
the Windows 9x operating systems.

Tom Ogilvy

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SJC SJC is offline

I hope I am not being a pest, but I had one last small question--your command
lines worked perfectly, but the letters "Mar" appear in front of the file
name--is there any way to get rid of that? Thanks once again.

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

strfilename = format(now(), "mmm") & "MyFile.xls"

format(now(),"mmm") puts the 3 letter abbreviation for the month in front
of the filename.

strfilename = "MyFile.xls"

Would not do that, but then, wouldn't all your file names be the same? (it
they are, the you would want to overwrite the existing file).

Tom Ogilvy

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SJC SJC is offline

Yes, I get it now. Thank you so much for your help I think I finally have
it right.

"SJC" wrote:

[...]

Excel 2007 Macro/VB Question DDE Question MadDog22 Excel Worksheet Functions 1 March 10th 10 01:47 AM
Macro question rmcove Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 March 5th 09 03:01 PM
Macro Question Carl Excel Worksheet Functions 5 February 10th 07 06:51 PM
Macro Question Greg New Users to Excel 4 March 24th 06 03:47 PM
Macro Question Dizzy[_2_] Excel Programming 0 December 22nd 03 08:33 PM