Posted to microsoft.public.ado,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel crash closing ADO connection object

Hello!

I wonder if anyone's seen this one befo the environment is Office
2000 running on Win2K SP4 with terminal services enabled (although i
don't think this is relevant). I'm having problems with Excel crashing
with no error (it just "disappears") when invoking the close method of
an ADO connection object in a VB6-compiled COM object.

I've tested this further by using a very simple VBA macro to create a
connection object and a recordset object, select some data using the
recordset then close the recordset and the connection. About 3 seconds
after the close method has executed the EXCEL.EXE process dies, no
error. I've tried the same in Word and the same happens.

I'm using the MSDASQL.1 provider if this makes any difference, with the
SCO SQL Retriever ODBC driver, but the same code runs fine on a local
machine with the same driver, so it seems that the problem is specific
to this environment. Has anyone come across this before? I suspect
that refreshing MDAC would be the next way forward, but any other
thoughts would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.ado,microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Simon Gosney" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It could be due to some problem with your TS profile. What happens if you
log in as someone else?

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.ado,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unfortunately the same problem occurs if I log in as another user :-(

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.ado,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Applied MDAC2.8 and ... problem solved!

Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.ado,microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Simon Gosney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Applied MDAC2.8 and ... problem solved!

Simon

Too bad you didn't find out what really caused the problem though.

/Fredrik