Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Opening CSV file with 69000 + rows in Excel using VBA

Hi all,

I have to open csv files with possibly more than 65000 rows of data in them,
and all the rows greater than 1 worksheet have to be put on the next
sheet...when that is full I have to add another sheet and so on...

Due to the limitations of Excel, I can't even tell the text Import
(Querytables) method to start at row 65000 as the textFileStartRow parameter
is supposed to be an integer (DOH !) - who came up with that one?

So, what is the best option, open the files using OLEDB Text Provider in ADO
and load from recordset to read them in chunks of 65000 odd records, or is
there a better way?

Or should I use the Textfile Import Method, and read it in in chunks of say
30000 by setting the textFileStartRow property to current Value + 30000 for
each iteration until completed?

thanks for any help or ideas or sympathy...

Philip