Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default discover cell causing column width

I have a worksheet importing things from several sources. Mostly
calendar data. I have had thew columns autofit for the final
formatting and display of the report.
All of a sudden I have one column come out extra wide and I suspect
some spaces or such in a cell.
Anyway I can investigate each cell's width property to see what is
causing this and then I can trim the output from the source.
Thank You all.
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the column to check is 'A', In column 'B', copy the following ...
=Len(A1)
Copy this all the way down and check for the highest number.
HTH,
Gary Brown

"no bosh" wrote:

I have a worksheet importing things from several sources. Mostly
calendar data. I have had thew columns autofit for the final
formatting and display of the report.
All of a sudden I have one column come out extra wide and I suspect
some spaces or such in a cell.
Anyway I can investigate each cell's width property to see what is
causing this and then I can trim the output from the source.
Thank You all.
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default discover cell causing column width more exactly

Actually I can figure out what the width of the cells are after auto
fitting makes them all enormous. I am hoping to discover the cell
which may be causing the width result, that autofit is adjusting to.

I have a worksheet importing things from several sources. Mostly
calendar data. I have had thew columns autofit for the final
formatting and display of the report.
All of a sudden I have one column come out extra wide and I suspect
some spaces or such in a cell.
Anyway I can investigate each cell's width property to see what is
causing this and then I can trim the output from the source.
Thank You all.
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can accomplish this by using the =Len(A1) formula.
For example...
=Len(A1) = 10 in width
=Len(A2) = 12 in width
=Len(A3) = 185 in width <--Ah, ha!!!!
HTH,
Gary Brown

"no bosh" wrote:

Actually I can figure out what the width of the cells are after auto
fitting makes them all enormous. I am hoping to discover the cell
which may be causing the width result, that autofit is adjusting to.

I have a worksheet importing things from several sources. Mostly
calendar data. I have had thew columns autofit for the final
formatting and display of the report.
All of a sudden I have one column come out extra wide and I suspect
some spaces or such in a cell.
Anyway I can investigate each cell's width property to see what is
causing this and then I can trim the output from the source.
Thank You all.
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks,
I should have thought of that.
Perfect.
Someone had inserted like 100 spaces in a blank cell.
Leaning on the keyboard I guess

"no bosh" wrote:

I have a worksheet importing things from several sources. Mostly
calendar data. I have had thew columns autofit for the final
formatting and display of the report.
All of a sudden I have one column come out extra wide and I suspect
some spaces or such in a cell.
Anyway I can investigate each cell's width property to see what is
causing this and then I can trim the output from the source.
Thank You all.
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank You using =Len solved this