Bob Tarburton

Default What is the column width associated with cell borders?

It appears that there is a 1/2 pt border between columns.
Is that correct?

If I merge 3 standard 8.43 pt width cells (A1:C1) and wrap
text, the text wrap appears to be the same as if it were
one cell with a column width 26.29 instead of 25.29.

If I go to FormatCellsBorder the line style is
represented visually, but in Word the default line style
for a table border is 1/2 pt.

Also, is I use a cell border that is thicker than default,
does that reduce the space available in the cell or
increase the spacing between cells?

Thanks for your help,
Bob
Duke Carey

Bob -

The number format you use could have an effect, if there are space holders
in the format preceding or following the text.

Can't help with your other questions, but will jump on the soap box to urge
you NOT TO MERGE CELLS. Adjusting column widths and selecting ranges when
merged cells are present becomes a nightmare. Use the Format Cells |
Alignment | Center Across Selection whenever possible instead of merging.

"Bob Tarburton" wrote:

It appears that there is a 1/2 pt border between columns.
Is that correct?

If I merge 3 standard 8.43 pt width cells (A1:C1) and wrap
text, the text wrap appears to be the same as if it were
one cell with a column width 26.29 instead of 25.29.

If I go to FormatCellsBorder the line style is
represented visually, but in Word the default line style
for a table border is 1/2 pt.

Also, is I use a cell border that is thicker than default,
does that reduce the space available in the cell or
increase the spacing between cells?

Thanks for your help,
Bob

Bob Tarburton

Here's the question:
Why are two cells of say 10 pt column width, when merged,
wider than one cell of 20 pt width?
Or more to the point, I don't need to know why, I need to
know exactly how much wider.
Looks like close to 0.75 pt between cells with default
formatting, but I'd like to hear that from someone who
knows

Before anyone else urges me not to merge cells (and I
understand why many of you do this), please read the book
below

Bob Tarburton

[...]

I am NOT running calculations on the merged cells or on
ranges containing the merged cells. 2. The merged cells
only contain text. 3. Any text that might be more than one
line MUST be formatted Wrap text and Justify. 4. I CANNOT
use only one column for the report.

"Bob Tarburton" wrote:

It appears that there is a 1/2 pt border between

columns.
Is that correct?

If I merge 3 standard 8.43 pt width cells (A1:C1) and

wrap
text, the text wrap appears to be the same as if it

were
one cell with a column width 26.29 instead of 25.29.

If I go to FormatCellsBorder the line style is
represented visually, but in Word the default line

style
for a table border is 1/2 pt.

Also, is I use a cell border that is thicker than

default,
does that reduce the space available in the cell or
increase the spacing between cells?

Thanks for your help,
Bob

.