Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Generating Reports In Excel

Is it possible to write code in excel that sums specific records from a
dataset (worksheet) based on date ranges, employee name, etc. That data
would then be automatically charted on a graph. I'm experienced with Excel
and am an experienced programmer; I've just never programmed in Excel.

If this type of work is possible can somebody show me where I can find
examples to learn by?

Thanks a bunch!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If your data is nicely laid out, it sounds like you could use Data|pivottable
(or pivotchart).

If you get it working, you can record a macro that will get the bulk of your
code.

If you want to read more about the pivottable stuff, you may want to look at
some links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another alternative is to hook the excel chart to a pivot table then write
some customized scripts to total - or even raw pivot table functionality to
do the totalling for you.

--
Regards
Alvin Bruney