Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default count function

Hallo,
I have two problems and I'd appreciate some help with them.
The first is that I need to define some function (with one or more normal
functions or in VB, I don't care) which would have one column as the input
and would return the index of the first non-zero value.

The other question is if it's possible in MS Excel to have one function
counting many rows and giving some result. What I have now is one special
column, where I count something for each row. If the result is OK, the
return is zero, if it isn't OK, then the value can be positive or negative.
Then I count in the cell next to this one absolute value and somewhere I
count sum of them so I see if the whole sheet is OK. (Normally few thousands
rows). I know I can count sum in the first column and have one column
less... but the question is, if I can write it to just ONE cell.
So I can count somewhere how many rows are actually in the sheet and then
write something as (sum_from_1_to_MAX_of(MakeResultOfRow(A(x),B(x))). I know
almost nothing about mattrix functions, is it the way how this can be done?

Thank you very much for your help and time.

Have a nice day!

Jiří Mothejzík