Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Wouldn't it be nice - Code Signing in Bulk

Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to automatically code
sign all VBA containing files in a user identified
directory? Is it practical? Has anyone done it? How
would you deal with password protected project code
(Assume one password for all)?

I need to catch up on several years of code that isn't
signed yet.

Any constructive thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Best Regards,
Walt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you were a virus writer it might be nice: you would be able to remove all
of the passwords and signatures from workbooks and replace with your own and
do lots of other destructive things to the code.

IOW, I don't believe this is possible, but if it is, somebody will point out
the error of my ways.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:40:01 -0800, "Walt Weber" wrote:

Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to automatically code
sign all VBA containing files in a user identified
directory? Is it practical? Has anyone done it? How
would you deal with password protected project code
(Assume one password for all)?

I need to catch up on several years of code that isn't
signed yet.

Any constructive thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Best Regards,
Walt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Myrna,

I'm not a virus writer and I already know all the
passwords because I wrote all the code in these files (I'm
not suggesting some kind of code cracker be involved). I
have a valid code signing certificate and want to apply it
to my work. It's just there are a lot of files to open
and process. Typically I work out 1 password per
customer (More if they want), so I could group files in a
directory for processing with 1, specified in advance,
password.

I appreciate your concerns, but I didn't mean to be
suggesting anything that would break through passwords.

wrote:

Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to automatically code
sign all VBA containing files in a user identified
directory? Is it practical? Has anyone done it?

How
would you deal with password protected project code
(Assume one password for all)?

I need to catch up on several years of code that isn't
signed yet.

Any constructive thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Best Regards,
Walt

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Myrna,
I would agree on that.
It does seem that a recent update/patch (not sure which 1, as I installed a
bunch together) has stymied one of the easiest route around VBA security,
thankfully.

NickHK

"Myrna Larson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I didn't mean that YOU would do this. I meant if the ability to change
passwords and signatures via code were there, it would defeat the whole
purpose of being able to password-protect and sign documents.

wrote:

Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to automatically code
sign all VBA containing files in a user identified
directory? Is it practical? Has anyone done it?

How
would you deal with password protected project code
(Assume one password for all)?

I need to catch up on several years of code that isn't
signed yet.

Any constructive thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Best Regards,
Walt

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Myrna,

Wouldn't it be reasonable to be able to have code drive
the addition of a signature to unsigned work when the
password is provided? I have not had a code signing
certificate until now.

One of the cases where this would be so helpful is an
application I originally wrote in Excel 3.0 then 4.0 macro
code in 1993-4 (Originally on a Mac). It's evolved and
now 100% in VBA and still in use in over 70 school
districts (All Wintel). Its design allows for files to
be created via user inputs (ex. number of schools in the
district) and I really don't know how many files are in
the various installs (I've seen some with over 450). All
have some code involved and I'd like all to be signed.

I can get the installation sets back for signing on my
machine then return them.

wrote:

Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to automatically

code
sign all VBA containing files in a user identified
directory? Is it practical? Has anyone done it?

How
would you deal with password protected project code
(Assume one password for all)?

I need to catch up on several years of code that isn't
signed yet.

Any constructive thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Best Regards,
Walt

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Wouldn't it be nice - Code Signing in Bulk - BOTTOM LINE

Hi,

For an informative and authoritative thread discussing
this subject check he

http://groups-
beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.office.developer.vba
/browse_frm/thread/d7bdf64221b0fe30/940dd066de1767f5?
q=timestamp&_done=%2Fgroup%
2Fmicrosoft.public.office.developer.vba%2Fsearch%3 Fq%
3Dtimestamp%26start%3D0%26scoring%3Dd%
26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#940dd066de1767f5

BOTTOM LINE - AT LEAST NOT NOW

Best Regards,
Walt