Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I plot a scatter plot in 3 axies?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You don't - at least, not with any built-in Excel chart options. Probably
because a 3D scatter plot would be pretty tough to read: hard to tell exactly
where a point is when projected from a 3D "world" onto a 2D chart. I have
found a way to "fake" a 3D scatter plot (but with limitations) if you are
interested: Make it a 3D column chart. Turn the data labels on and set it
to "show labels" (and with the label alignment make sure they are centered).
Then for each data series, set the area and border options for the columns to
"off". The columns are now invisible and you see your labels sitting on top
of the points - in other words, they act pretty much like the data markers.
By using a symbolic font, like Wingdings or Webdings, you can have different
"marker" styles. But it is not a very accurate representation, plus there
are no options for lines or anything, and (as I said above) it really is hard
to visualize the points in 3D.

Sorry - best I could do...
K Dales

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The 3D charting capabilities of Excel are restricted to category axes. The
best you would be able to do is furnish z-values for the evenly spaced X
and Y values.

Tom Ogilvy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are workarounds, though. A noteworthy one is Andy Pope's 3D
Scatter chart:

http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm

- Jon
-------