Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Template Update

Hi All
I have a workbook which has 2 worksheets. One worksheet
is a database of employee details and is Hidden.
The other worksheet is from where I use functions to call
the details or to update the database using Form(thanks to
MVP's).
Now I want to know if it is Possible to update the
worksheet One(the one with the database) should I convert
the workbook into a Template???

Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

AJ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I use templates when I'm done making changes as a developer and I want users to
be able to create workbooks based on this "frozen" template.

They can create a new workbook based on this template and change stuff and see
results. If they need to do a different scenario, they can create a new
workbook based on the template.

I don't know what you're using the workbook for, but if the workbook is always
growing, I'm not quite sure how a template would help.

And you can change that hidden sheet manually (unhide it first).

Or via code (write directly to the ranges--don't use .select's and .activate's.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I understand your question correctly, you want make a template of your
workbook and can you update the database in that template once it has been
made. Yes, in 2 ways. When you select File/New and choose your template,
Excel opens a copy of the template as a workbook, usually with a number
appended to the end of the template name to indicate that it is a copy of
the other file. From this copy you can update and make changes as you wish
to your data. Now you can save these changes to your template. Select
File/Save As and from the list of file types find Template *.xlt. You may
now have to browse to where your templates are stored and overwrite the
original template with the new one.
The other, and more direct way to make changes to a template is to open the
original template, make changes, and just save. When you do File/Open select
file type *.xlt and browse to the Templates folder and open your template.

Tip: Excel templates are stored in different places depending on your
version of Windows and/or Office/Excel. You can open Excel and ask it where
the templates are stored. Open the VBEditor (Alt+F11). There should be a
small window near the bottom named Immediate. If not, hit Ctrl+G. In that
window type:
?application.TemplatesPath
and hit enter. The path is then displayed.

Mike F

"Anthony" wrote in message
Hi All
I have a workbook which has 2 worksheets. One worksheet
is a database of employee details and is Hidden.
The other worksheet is from where I use functions to call
the details or to update the database using Form(thanks to
MVP's).
Now I want to know if it is Possible to update the
worksheet One(the one with the database) should I convert
the workbook into a Template???

Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

AJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perhaps you received the answer you need, but I find your question
confusing. In paragraph 1 you say you already update the database (using a
Form -- Userform??) and in paragraph 2 you want to know if it is possible to
update the database.

If you didn't get an answer that you can use, perhaps you could more clearly
state what your situation is.

Tom Ogilvy