Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003: instances not closing

I have several VB6.0 programs that open Excel, writes data in cells, closes
Excel several times within a program. This worked beautiful with Office 2000
without a hitch. My company recently pushed Office 2003 onto our machines,
and the same programs no longer closes Excel. There is an instance for each
time it opened Excel remaining in the background. This presents a problem
for large number of instances. Does anyone know about this change in Excel?
I've tested it on several machines with/without the new 2003 version.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Aimster" wrote in message
I have several VB6.0 programs that open Excel, writes data in cells,

closes
Excel several times within a program. This worked beautiful with Office

2000
without a hitch. My company recently pushed Office 2003 onto our

machines,
and the same programs no longer closes Excel. There is an instance for

each
time it opened Excel remaining in the background. This presents a problem
for large number of instances. Does anyone know about this change in

Excel?
I've tested it on several machines with/without the new 2003 version.

Use Application.Quit

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Shouldn't happen just because of a transition to 2003. Did anyone make
*any* change to the VB6 program?

One common cause of why XL doesn't close is at
Program won't quit
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vb...quit/index.htm

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I have several VB6.0 programs that open Excel, writes data in cells, closes
Excel several times within a program. This worked beautiful with Office 2000
without a hitch. My company recently pushed Office 2003 onto our machines,
and the same programs no longer closes Excel. There is an instance for each
time it opened Excel remaining in the background. This presents a problem
for large number of instances. Does anyone know about this change in Excel?
I've tested it on several machines with/without the new 2003 version.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If there's no different from xlapp.quit, then Application.Quit doesn't work
either.

And, Tushar, no one makes changes but me, and I haven't made any since the
move to Office 2003. I did notice that alot of the DLLs have been updated.
I'm about ready to go back to Office 2000, if the company will let me.

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Aimster,
If you have the VB6 source, check if your variable "xlapp" is still valid
just prior to the VB6 app's close.
Otherwise there's this, although it says it applies to Excel 2002. It was
last reviewed on February 19, 2005, so it may have a new fix.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836031
Look towards the bottom for "Excel file is opened by using OLE and then
closed but Excel process does not quit".

NickHK