Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Best Way to Distribute and Upgrade a Spreadsheet

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet which I am looking to distribute to a few people.

It basically tracks stock prices and works out portfolio value and tax implications.

The spreadsheet has code and data, and I want to know the best way to arrange it so that I can upgrade the code later if need be, without overwriting the data.

I suppose I need to split the two up, using an add-in?

What is the best way to do this please.

Thanks
Rich
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rich,

The best approach would be to put all the code in an Add-In.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Rich" wrote in message

I have a spreadsheet which I am looking to distribute to a few
people.

It basically tracks stock prices and works out portfolio value
and tax implications.

The spreadsheet has code and data, and I want to know the best
way to arrange it so that I can upgrade the code later if need
be, without overwriting the data.

I suppose I need to split the two up, using an add-in?

What is the best way to do this please.

Thanks
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Chip,

I have realised another part of the problem is the formulas that are
throughout the workbook. There may be a need to upgrade those.

BTW, all my complex array formulas are based on your site, just made the
connection.

Thanks!!!!!!

"Rich" wrote in message

I have a spreadsheet which I am looking to distribute to a few
people.

It basically tracks stock prices and works out portfolio value
and tax implications.

The spreadsheet has code and data, and I want to know the best
way to arrange it so that I can upgrade the code later if need
be, without overwriting the data.

I suppose I need to split the two up, using an add-in?

What is the best way to do this please.

Thanks
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, you are on the right track. An add-in is the way to go. For some
pointers see http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=148963#
148963

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com