Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how can I get the letters A & S to add 1 in excel

I have a spread sheet for members in the colum that adds the attendences up
is there a way of that I can get it to add an A as 1 & an S as 2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

assuming that you're not doing this in code and are looking for a worksheet
function, something along the lines of a COUNTIF might work.

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"A")
counts the number of A's in the range A1:A100

or

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"S")*2
counts the number of S's in the range A1:A100 and multiples the answer by 2

so

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"A")+COUNTIF(A1:A100,"S")*2 will probably give you what
you're looking for

Hope this helps

Cheers
JulieD

"johnboy46" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet for members in the colum that adds the attendences up
is there a way of that I can get it to add an A as 1 & an S as 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Of course you can't add letters but maybe
=if(a3="A",1,if(a3="s",2,""))
or use the COUNTIF function. Look in HELP index
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"johnboy46" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet for members in the colum that adds the attendences

up
is there a way of that I can get it to add an A as 1 & an S as 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

you're welcome ... when i'm teaching - my advice to my students is that if
you struggle to get a solution for more than 30 mins then go check out the
newsgroups (but do try first) ... i learnt this the hard way too :)

Cheers
JulieD