Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ActiveX add-in?

Hi,

Even though I have a c++ background, I'm hopelessly confused about the
..Net, com, com+, ActiveX etc.

Basically, I have a tool that can take my existing code and package it
as an ActiveX object. Is this sufficient to write an Excel add-in?
Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Aaron,

a few details about the tool, what it should do, what it should do it to,
etc. would help to give a more meaningful response.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Even though I have a c++ background, I'm hopelessly confused about the
.Net, com, com+, ActiveX etc.

Basically, I have a tool that can take my existing code and package it
as an ActiveX object. Is this sufficient to write an Excel add-in?
Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Even though I have a c++ background, I'm hopelessly confused about the
.Net, com, com+, ActiveX etc.

Basically, I have a tool that can take my existing code and package it
as an ActiveX object. Is this sufficient to write an Excel add-in?
Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

I would like to know more about the tool and what you want to do before I
can answer anything.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Certainly.

My Excel add-in needs to do the following basic things:

1. Supply custom functions, such as SphericalHarmonic(l, m, theta,
phi), including similar type function that can take a range and return
a range...

2. Query some type of network server a return the results to Excel.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
oups.com...
Certainly.

My Excel add-in needs to do the following basic things:

1. Supply custom functions, such as SphericalHarmonic(l, m, theta,
phi), including similar type function that can take a range and return
a range...

2. Query some type of network server a return the results to Excel.
Thank you

If you want to make custom functions and want them to be compiled, you have
two options. You can make an xll or an automation add-in. Here's a link that
describes one, written in C#:
http://www.thecodeproject.com/dotnet/excelnetauto.asp

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I was hoping there was a third option. I have all of the required
funcitonality, other than delivering the results to Excel, written in
Java and packaged as a bean. I was hoping to use this

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...ide/index.html

to wrap it inside an ActiveX container and, at least temprorily, save
myself the learning curve of learning another laguage (however similar
to Java), another programming environment, etc.
Thus my original question.

Many thanks for the responses.

Aaron Fude

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was hoping there was a third option. I have all of the required
funcitonality, other than delivering the results to Excel, written in
Java and packaged as a bean. I was hoping to use this

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...ide/index.html

to wrap it inside an ActiveX container and, at least temprorily, save
myself the learning curve of learning another laguage (however similar
to Java), another programming environment, etc.
Thus my original question.

Many thanks for the responses.

Aaron Fude

Well, maybe it does work. It ssems possible to create an add-in in C3 and
have it call your Java dll. I suggest you try something really simple. Make
a dll that adds two numbers and call it from C#.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Aaron,

would your code compile in J#? In this case, you might be able to use
http://ManagedXLL.net/. Contact me personally if you need additional
information.

Jens Thiel
--
Replace MSDN with my first name when replying to my email address!

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was hoping there was a third option. I have all of the required
funcitonality, other than delivering the results to Excel, written in
Java and packaged as a bean. I was hoping to use this

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...ide/index.html

to wrap it inside an ActiveX container and, at least temprorily, save
myself the learning curve of learning another laguage (however similar
to Java), another programming environment, etc.
Thus my original question.

Many thanks for the responses.

Aaron Fude

ActiveX Medley1208 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 May 30th 08 04:09 PM
ActiveX RedChequer Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 March 9th 05 11:05 PM
activeX batty Excel Programming 0 September 18th 04 04:13 PM
activex joe Excel Programming 1 August 12th 04 05:22 PM
activeX Marcos Santos \(MOS\) Excel Programming 0 July 21st 04 09:42 PM